OP AMP Transfer Function Homework: Find Vo(s)/Vi(s) for Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the transfer function of an OPAMP circuit using Kirchoff's current law and the Laplace transform of capacitor impedance. The role of capacitor C1 and C2 is incorrectly interchanged in the equations. It is suggested to consider the node v' as a pseudo-ground for the small ac signal case in order to simplify the calculations. Mesh analysis can also be used to solve for the transfer function.
clope023

Homework Statement

Find Vo(s)/Vi(s) for the OPAMP circuit in the attachements

Homework Equations

V = iR, Kirchoff current law.
1/sC = Laplace transform of capacitor impedance.

The Attempt at a Solution

Make the voltage at the node = v'.

ir1 = (vi - v')/r1
ir2 = v'/r2
iz = (v'-vo)/z
z = (1/sC1)+r3
ic2 = (v'-v-)/(1/sC2)

Op amp inverting pin does not draw current and due to the virtual ground v-=0V
Therefore,

ir1 = ir2 + ic2 + iz

[tex]\frac{vi-v'}{r1}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{v'}{r2}[/tex] + sC2v' + [tex]\frac{v'-vo}{(1/sC1)+r3}[/tex]

Ideally I would do the algebra and solve for the transfer fuction by setting vo/vi to whatever what came out on the other side, what I am having trouble with is canceling out v', which I attempted to write as a multiple of either vi or vo via a voltage divider.

My attempts were as follows:

v' as a function of vi -

v' = [tex]\frac{R2vi}{R1+R2}[/tex]

or v' as a function of vo -

v' = [tex]\frac{R2vo}{(1/sC2)+R3 + R2}[/tex]

I'm just wondering which way of thinking in terms of v' is the right way to go, I keep on getting all of these horribly long equations that just don't seem right so I decided to ask on here, any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• opamp.jpg
    opamp.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 518
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you've interchanged the roles of capacitors C1 and C2 between your diagram and equations. Just thought you'd like to know.

If you just want results for an ideal op-amp, you won't go far wrong by simply taking v' to be zero. That is, consider it a pseudo-ground for the small ac signal case. This is so because the op-amp is going to do its darndest to make the current flowing through the capacitor on the input leg zero. To do that, the feedback loop has to drive the v' node towards ground and hold it there. Even on a "real" op-amp the input current going through the input capacitor will be on the order of picoamps.

Of course, that also means that your R2 won't be doing much either. Your input current will be Vi/R1, and that current will carry on through the feedback components to arrive at Vout.

If you've got a few hours to kill doing complex algebra you could always replace the op-amp in the circuit with an equivalent circuit model and solve via mesh analysis.

Check your schematic for correctness. If the opamp is ideal, then C1 does nothing in the small signal response (because the input impedance of the minus input is infinite), and blocks any path for the DC bias current which must be provided to the minus input.

Related to OP AMP Transfer Function Homework: Find Vo(s)/Vi(s) for Circuit

What is an OP AMP Transfer Function?

An OP AMP transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output signals of an operational amplifier (OP AMP). It describes how the output signal of the OP AMP is related to the input signal, and is typically expressed as a ratio of the output voltage to the input voltage.

Why is the Transfer Function important in OP AMPs?

The transfer function is important in OP AMPs because it allows us to analyze and design circuits that use OP AMPs. By understanding the transfer function, we can predict the behavior of the OP AMP in different circuit configurations and determine the appropriate values for the components in the circuit.

What factors affect the Transfer Function of an OP AMP?

The transfer function of an OP AMP is affected by several factors, including the gain bandwidth product, input and output impedances, and the frequency response of the OP AMP. The type and values of external components used in the circuit can also affect the transfer function.

How is the Transfer Function of an OP AMP calculated?

The transfer function of an OP AMP can be calculated using the standard formula for a non-inverting amplifier: Vout/Vin = 1 + R2/R1. For inverting amplifiers, the formula is -Vout/Vin = R2/R1. However, the transfer function can become more complex for more complex circuit configurations, and may require the use of calculus or simulation software to calculate.

What are some common applications of OP AMP Transfer Functions?

OP AMP transfer functions have many practical applications, including in signal conditioning, filtering, and amplification circuits. They are also used in active filters, oscillators, and other electronic devices where precise control of the output signal is necessary.