Op-Amp Questions - V/S Output Sat. Voltage & Load Current

• Thread starter hemant03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Op-amp
In summary, an OP-amp just multiplies the input by the gain, and you cannot get a result greater than the supply voltage.
hemant03
Hi,
I am new to circuit designing and I have a question on one of the parameters in the spec sheet of op - amp.
I don't quiet understand (see the graph) what does the output saturation voltage v/s (overdrive voltage or load current) is and why is it almost the same for outout being low or high.
I have attached the pdf of the specsheet for easy viewing.

Attachments

• LT1638_LT1639.pdf
    218 KB · Views: 205
Engineering news on Phys.org
Basically an OP-amp just multiplies the input by the gain.
You can't get a result greater than the supply voltage.

What exactly happens when your input exceeds the maximum allowed by your supply voltage depends on the internal construction of the OP-amp.
The graphs are there to show the result of doing this.

Hi,
Thanks for the response but my question is specific to the graph showing output saturation voltage v/s load current for output being high or low. Basically I am unable to understand the relation between output sat. voltage, load current and output being a high or low.

Thanks,
- Hemant

Opamps have transistors in their output stages to deliver these currents. A saturated output stage is one that cannot deliver any more current, even if you drive it harder. It is saturated !

Look at page 12 of the PDF data to see the output stage is two bipolar transistors, the PNP one for pull-up, and the NPN one for pull-down. A saturated transistor is not a zero resistance device. There will be some volts across it that will increase as the current increases.

Notice also that both axes of the data graph are logarithmic.
Thus the very nearly straight sloping part of line still indicates proportionality. ie. the apparent resistance of the fully turned on transistor is nearly constant! The increasing current simply delivers increasing saturation voltage. You should appreciate that to get this measurement, the current is being controlled by some external circuit. The transistor, being saturated, no longer has any say in limiting the current.

Yet the logarithmic scale use does exaggerate the display of voltages and currents that are very small. Thus you get to see that there is a certain minimum voltage drop across the transistor that is independent of the current, and is there even when the current drops to zero. It is, however, somewhat dependent on temperature. There are three separate curves given for different temperatures. When the current is reduced to the point the voltage drop due to bulk resistance is not significant, you get to see the remaining voltage left on the collector because of the saturated state of the base-emitter junction.

Finally - be aware that the saturation voltage is not the output voltage of the op-amp at the time. Notice there are two data graphs. One for 'output high' and the other for 'output low'. The saturation voltage is the difference between the (low or high) supply rail and the output terminal, when the opamp is driven so hard the output saturates.

I hope that does it, because I am better at using the things instead of thinking about their insides. :smile:

Last edited:

Related to Op-Amp Questions - V/S Output Sat. Voltage & Load Current

1. What is an op-amp?

An op-amp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic component that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It is commonly used in analog circuits to perform mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, integration, and differentiation.

2. What is the output saturation voltage of an op-amp?

The output saturation voltage of an op-amp is the maximum output voltage that it can provide while still maintaining its linear operation. This is typically specified by the manufacturer and can vary depending on the specific op-amp model.

3. How does the load current affect the output saturation voltage of an op-amp?

The load current, or the current drawn from the output of an op-amp, can affect the output saturation voltage. As the load current increases, the output voltage may drop due to the internal resistance of the op-amp. This can cause the output to deviate from its linear operation and reach its saturation voltage sooner.

4. What happens if the output saturation voltage is exceeded?

If the output saturation voltage is exceeded, the op-amp will no longer be able to maintain its linear operation and the output voltage will remain at its maximum value. This can result in distortion of the output waveform and potentially damage the op-amp if the voltage is exceeded for an extended period of time.

5. Can the output saturation voltage of an op-amp be changed?

The output saturation voltage of an op-amp is a characteristic of the specific model and cannot be changed. However, circuit design techniques, such as using a voltage follower or adding a feedback resistor, can help to minimize the effects of output saturation and maintain linear operation. Choosing an op-amp with a higher output saturation voltage can also help to avoid reaching the maximum output voltage.