Op-Amp Design for Vo = 12VS1+3VS2 with 50 kΩ and 25 kΩ Input Resistances

In summary: A unique Rf can be created by using a summing amplifier and one voltage follower + 50K resistor between follower input the Vs1, and one non-inverting amplifier.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Design an op-amp circuit that can perform the operation:Vo = 12VS1+3VS2, while simultaneously presenting an input resistance of 50 kΩ on the input side for source VS1 and an input resistance of 25 kΩ on the input side for source VS2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am looking at Op-Amp gains, and I cannot find a model that will produce this output. A summation amplifier won't do it, nor a difference amplifier. What kind of model should I use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maylis said:
A summation amplifier won't do it, nor a difference amplifier.

On what basis did you get this?

By looking at the equations of the gains of the respective amplifiers.

The equation has a positive sign, and the equation for a difference amplifier for Vout is given here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operat...erential_amplifier_.28difference_amplifier.29

Notice the -Rf/R1 * v1 term.

None of the equations for any of the op-amps in that article seem to work with what I want.

A summing amplifier can be non-inverting.

Maylis said:
None of the equations for any of the op-amps in that article seem to work with what I want.

The output is (12)V1+(3)V2. Seeing this what op-amp configuration do you think would be suitable? Forget about gains for a second.

A Difference amplifier

Maylis said:
A Difference amplifier

"Difference" implies subtraction. Where do you see a subtraction?

Try to use summing amplifier + ?? amplifier

Likes 1 person
the problem with the summing circuit is that Rf/50kΩ = 12 and Rf/25kΩ = 3 will not give a solution for Rf.

A non-inverting summer will have the same problem, where G is not satisfied by the two equations with the input resistances being set.

Does your problem put a limit on to the number of amps used?

No, you can use multiple op-amps

So you can use summing amplifier and one voltage follower + 50K resistor between follower input the Vs1, and one non-inverting amplifier.

Maylis said:
the problem with the summing circuit is that Rf/50kΩ = 12 and Rf/25kΩ = 3 will not give a solution for Rf.

A non-inverting summer will have the same problem, where G is not satisfied by the two equations with the input resistances being set.
Can you pass an input through a potential divider?

Maylis said:
No, you can use multiple op-amps
Then it should not be difficult. You can have a unique Rf for each op-amp.

Related to Op-Amp Design for Vo = 12VS1+3VS2 with 50 kΩ and 25 kΩ Input Resistances

What is an op-amp?

An op-amp, or operational amplifier, is a type of electronic circuit component that is commonly used in analog signal processing. It is a high-gain, differential amplifier that can amplify small input voltages to a much larger output voltage.

What is the purpose of an op-amp in circuit design?

The main purpose of an op-amp in circuit design is to amplify and process analog signals. It can be used in a variety of applications, such as amplifiers, filters, oscillators, and more. Its high gain and versatile input and output configurations make it a crucial component in many electronic systems.

What are the key characteristics of an ideal op-amp?

An ideal op-amp has infinite input impedance, zero output impedance, infinite gain, and infinite bandwidth. It also has a null output when the input voltage difference is zero and can handle any input voltage level without distortion.

What are the different types of op-amps?

There are two main types of op-amps: bipolar junction transistor (BJT) and metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET). BJT op-amps are typically used in low-frequency applications, while MOSFET op-amps are better suited for high-frequency applications. There are also different configurations of op-amps, such as inverting, non-inverting, and differential.

How do I choose the right op-amp for my circuit design?

When selecting an op-amp for a circuit design, it is important to consider the required gain, bandwidth, input and output impedance, power supply voltage, and other specifications to ensure the op-amp can meet the design requirements. It is also helpful to compare different op-amps and their datasheets to find the best fit for the application.