Op Amp Books: Gain, Feedback & Examples

In summary, the conversation was about finding a book on Op Amps that would provide examples and explanations on gain, feedback, and other important material. The suggestion of "The Opamp Cookbook" and "The Art of Electronics" were provided, with the latter having more comprehensive information. The conversation also touched on the use of diodes and transistors in op amp circuits, and the interest in learning about them at a more fundamental level. The reason for studying op amps was also discussed.
Boltzman Oscillation
I was wanting to get a book on Op Amps. Ideally it would have lots of examples but I also need it to explain gain, feedback, and all that important material in an understandable manner.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you can never go wrong with the "dummies" line of books. I have read a few and used to get one for every class i was taking. I bet the "circuit analysis for dummies" would have a lot of good info on op amps. They also have good activity books to go along with it.

Maybe you should start with a diode or transistor book. Op amps are made from transistors and once you learn the analysis on one everything makes much more sense.

Good luck. Please let us know what you find. Id be interested as well.

jeff

Boltzman Oscillation said:
I was wanting to get a book on Op Amps. Ideally it would have lots of examples but I also need it to explain gain, feedback, and all that important material in an understandable manner.
My first opamp book was a little paperback called "The Opamp Cookbook". I don't remember the author, but it might be one of these that came up with an Amazon search:

1572381292040.png

I also recommend "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. It has lots more stuff than just opamps (from basic electronics to more complicated digital and analog circuits), but it is especially good at giving you very practical tips in designing opamp circuits and other circuits:

1572381398846.png

Here is a fun thread that we had a while ago based on one of the features of the H&H book: "Bad Circuits"

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/bad-circuits-test-your-knowledge.178516/

jeff davis said:
I think that you can never go wrong with the "dummies" line of books. I have read a few and used to get one for every class i was taking. I bet the "circuit analysis for dummies" would have a lot of good info on op amps. They also have good activity books to go along with it.

Maybe you should start with a diode or transistor book. Op amps are made from transistors and once you learn the analysis on one everything makes much more sense.

Good luck. Please let us know what you find. Id be interested as well.

jeff
I just took a shot at this one. The explanations for the ideal op amp is great but unfortunately I was looking for non ideal,feedback, and beyond. It does not touch on these subjects. It is pretty good for beginning in op amps though. Thank you.

berkeman said:
My first opamp book was a little paperback called "The Opamp Cookbook". I don't remember the author, but it might be one of these that came up with an Amazon search:

View attachment 252034

I also recommend "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. It has lots more stuff than just opamps (from basic electronics to more complicated digital and analog circuits), but it is especially good at giving you very practical tips in designing opamp circuits and other circuits:

View attachment 252035

Here is a fun thread that we had a while ago based on one of the features of the H&H book: "Bad Circuits"

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/bad-circuits-test-your-knowledge.178516/
Wow I am really enjoying the Art of Electronics. It has so much information! I will consider buying a printed version soon

Likes berkeman
Boltzman Oscillation said:
I just took a shot at this one. The explanations for the ideal op amp is great but unfortunately I was looking for non ideal,feedback, and beyond. It does not touch on these subjects. It is pretty good for beginning in op amps though. Thank you.
That's cool. I wasn't implying you a beginner I hope ypu took no offense.
I am just now learning about how diodes are made and it flows into transistors and then op amps. It's pretty interesting. It is taking me thru the atom level up into each component.

Actually the book for this course is the art of electronics.

Hope ypu find a book that peaks your interest.
Mind my asking why op amps?

jeff davis said:
That's cool. I wasn't implying you a beginner I hope ypu took no offense.
I am just now learning about how diodes are made and it flows into transistors and then op amps. It's pretty interesting. It is taking me thru the atom level up into each component.

Actually the book for this course is the art of electronics.

Hope ypu find a book that peaks your interest.
Mind my asking why op amps?
I am a beginner, Junior undergraduate in electrical engineering. Op amps are used for a lot of applications from filters to oscillators to measuring equipment. I do wish I had that book of yours last semester when I was just learning about ideal op amps without consideration of feedback but feedback is very very very important in op amps.

I would recommend that you search for everything written by Bob Pease on the subject. He will educate and entertain.
There was also a little monograph put out by Radio Shack written by Forest Mims: "Op Amp Circuits" or something similar...maybe 50 pages...really good I thought.

Likes berkeman
I used a book years ago by Franco or di Franco that was very clear.

I can recommend
How to Build and Use Electronic Devices Without Frustration, Panic, Mountains of Money, or an Engineer Degree
by Stuart Hoenig,

It is all about Op Amps and their applications.

Related to Op Amp Books: Gain, Feedback & Examples

1. What is an op amp?

An op amp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic component that amplifies and processes an input signal to produce an output signal. It is commonly used in electronic circuits for a variety of applications such as amplification, filtering, and signal conditioning.

2. What is the gain of an op amp?

The gain of an op amp is the ratio of the output voltage to the input voltage. It is typically expressed in decibels (dB) or as a numerical value. The gain of an op amp can be adjusted using external components such as resistors and capacitors.

3. What is feedback in op amps?

Feedback in op amps refers to the process of feeding a portion of the output signal back to the input. This is done to control and stabilize the gain of the op amp. There are two types of feedback: positive and negative. Negative feedback is commonly used in op amp circuits to improve stability and reduce distortion.

4. What are some common examples of op amp applications?

Op amps have a wide range of applications in electronics, including audio amplifiers, filters, voltage regulators, and signal generators. They are also commonly used in instrumentation and control systems, as well as in communication systems.

5. Are there any recommended books for learning about op amps?

Yes, there are many books available on op amps, but some popular and highly recommended titles include "Op Amps for Everyone" by Ron Mancini, "Design with Operational Amplifiers and Analog Integrated Circuits" by Sergio Franco, and "Op Amps and Linear Integrated Circuits" by Ramakant A. Gayakwad.