Op amp as max voltage function

In summary, The use of an op-amp with no loops formed, where V+ is connected to I+ and V- is connected to I-, will result in the output O always being at the maximum voltage on those two pins, due to the open-loop gain of most op-amps. However, some real world constraints to consider include bias currents and the output current specification of the op-amp. Additionally, the output may not be able to reach the rails if the input voltage range does not include them.
matejhowell
Ok, I just want to see if this would work (but never tried it).

Given a standard (though not ideal, let it be real world) op-amp, it has 5 main inputs -- I+, I-, O, V+, V-. If no loops were formed, and V+ was connected to I+ and V- was connected to I-, would the output O always be the maximum voltage on those two pins? What are some real world constraints?

Normally, this is a comparator, letting V+ pass to O if I+ > I-, and V- pass to O if I+ < I-. But just thought of this twist, didn't know if anyone had some thoughts...

MLH

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, in theory and generally in practice, because most op-amps have an open-loop gain of atleast >100. This means that any differential voltage seen across its input will be amplified 100 over times (over the saturation voltage). Since the output cannot go beyond saturation, it will always be in saturation. Usually, some bias currents (due to the non-ideal nature) is enough to make the output go to saturation. This also means that, it is never recommended to turn on an op-amp without negative feedback (unless you're using it as an oscillator which will require postive + negative feedback). Op-amps in saturation == very hot.

mezarashi said:
Op-amps in saturation == very hot.
Nah. The only thing that will make an opamp hot is if its output current spec is exceeded, which you're not going to do when you pin the output open circuit one way or the other.

As for the OP's question, yes, the output will stick high given the input biasing that you describe, but it will be "high" minus some voltage that depends on the output transistor structure. Take a look at the equivalent circuit for a typical opamp (usually included on the datasheet), and you'll see basically what the output stage looks like. Many CMOS opamps will drive rail-to-rail at the output.

Keep in mind also that especially for many comparators, the input voltage range may not include the rails. So if you pull one or both of the inputs too close to the rails, you may get a nonsensical output voltage.

Related to Op amp as max voltage function

1. What is an op amp?

An op amp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic device that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It typically has high gain, high input impedance, and low output impedance, making it useful for a variety of applications in analog circuits.

2. How does an op amp function as a max voltage function?

An op amp can function as a max voltage function by using a feedback circuit to limit the output voltage to a specific maximum value. This can be achieved by using a voltage divider with a known ratio, which is compared to the output voltage and used to adjust the input voltage to the op amp. This creates a closed-loop system that maintains the output voltage at the desired maximum level.

3. What are the advantages of using an op amp as a max voltage function?

Using an op amp as a max voltage function allows for precise control and regulation of the output voltage, as well as protection against overvoltage and potential damage to the circuit. It also allows for flexibility in adjusting the maximum voltage as needed for different applications.

4. What are some common applications of an op amp as a max voltage function?

An op amp used as a max voltage function can be found in various electronic devices, such as power supplies, audio amplifiers, and motor control circuits. It can also be used in voltage regulators, battery chargers, and other systems that require accurate voltage control.

5. Are there any limitations to using an op amp as a max voltage function?

One limitation of using an op amp as a max voltage function is that it requires a feedback circuit to maintain the output voltage at the desired level. This can add complexity and cost to the circuit design. Additionally, the op amp may have certain limitations in terms of input and output voltage ranges, as well as the maximum current it can handle.