OneFactoring Question: Solving x^3 + x + 2=0

• Thread starter Sparky_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, factoring a polynomial like x^3 + x + 2 = 0 involves looking for rational roots using the rational root test and then using trial and error or grouping to find the remaining factors. Some tips and tricks, such as using polynomial division, can make the factoring process faster.
Sparky_

Homework Statement

factor
[tex]
x^3 + x +2 = 0
[/tex]

Homework Equations

I know the answer is
[tex]
(x-2)(x+1)^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is when factoring problems like this - what should I look for or what should I group or separate to make the factoring easier?

Are some problems like this simply trial and error or with some tips and tricks (from experience) do they become faster?

Thanks
Sparky_

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually you go for the http://www.purplemath.com/modules/rtnlroot.htm" first. Sometimes you can play around with it and try to factor by grouping. I got the answer by first writing x3 + x + 2 as x3 - x + 2x + 2 and then factor them by grouping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you know that it can be factored into [tex](x-2)(x+1)^2[/tex] then you know that if you plug x=2 or x=-1 into the polynomial, you will get zero. The idea of the rational root test allows you to find all possible rational roots by plugging in certain values and seeing if that value will return 0.

So if you plugged in x=2, you will get 23+2+2=12 so I can tell you know that it can't be factored into what you gave me. Plugging in x=-1 gives (-1)3-1+2=0 so we can take out a factor (x+1).

Now to find out what is left, you can use polynomial division or equate coefficients of each side by expanding the left side:

[tex](x+1)(x^2+ax+2)=x^3+x+2[/tex]

Do you see how this works and how to solve for a?

Related to OneFactoring Question: Solving x^3 + x + 2=0

What is the One-Factoring Question?

The One-Factoring Question is a mathematical problem that involves finding a single root, or solution, to an equation of the form x^3 + x + 2=0. It is a specific type of polynomial equation that can be solved using various methods.

Why is the One-Factoring Question important?

The One-Factoring Question is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the behavior of polynomial functions and their roots. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

What are the different methods for solving the One-Factoring Question?

There are several methods for solving the One-Factoring Question, including the Rational Root Theorem, synthetic division, and the quadratic formula. These methods involve factoring, substitution, and manipulation of the equation to find the root.

Can the One-Factoring Question have more than one solution?

Yes, the One-Factoring Question can have multiple solutions depending on the degree of the polynomial equation. For example, the equation x^3 + x + 2=0 can have up to three solutions, while an equation of degree four can have up to four solutions.

What are the real-world applications of the One-Factoring Question?

The One-Factoring Question has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It can be used to model real-world situations involving growth and decay, motion, and electrical circuits. It is also used in cryptography for secure communication and data encryption.