One-to-One Linear Transformations

In summary, a linear transformation can only be one-to-one if the matrix representing it is in standard form, and the matrix cannot have any pivots in any of its columns or rows.
_N3WTON_

Homework Statement

Give a thorough explanation as to why a linear transformation:
gif.gif
with a standard matrix A CANNOT be one to one.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have figured this one out, but I was hoping somebody could confirm whether this example is sufficient:
gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

There are two equations with three unknowns. Therefore, this system cannot have a unique solution, instead it will have an infinite number of solutions. Therefore, there cannot be a one-to-one mapping from
gif.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
_N3WTON_ said:
There are two equations with three unknowns. Therefore, this system cannot have a unique solution,
If you are using "[itex] a,b,c [/itex]" to represent scalars, it doesn't make sense to put arrows over them.

It's possible for some systems of two equations in three unknowns to have a unique solution (or no solutions) so you would have to give more specifics to argue along those lines. You need to show explicitly that there are two different elements in [itex] \mathbb{R}^3 [/itex] that are mapped to the same element in [itex] \mathbb{R}^2 [/itex].

It's hard for me to guess what approach the problem expects you take, since I don't know what material has been covered prior to its being asked.

Stephen Tashi said:
If you are using "[itex] a,b,c [/itex]" to represent scalars, it doesn't make sense to put arrows over them.

It's possible for some systems of two equations in three unknowns to have a unique solution (or no solutions) so you would have to give more specifics to argue along those lines. You need to show explicitly that there are two different elements in [itex] \mathbb{R}^3 [/itex] that are mapped to the same element in [itex] \mathbb{R}^2 [/itex].

It's hard for me to guess what approach the problem expects you take, since I don't know what material has been covered prior to its being asked.
The instructor gave a hint that we are supposed to use pivots to prove the statement is true, but I'm not really seeing how to do that...

_N3WTON_ said:

Homework Statement

Give a thorough explanation as to why a linear transformation:
gif.gif
with a standard matrix A CANNOT be one to one.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have figured this one out, but I was hoping somebody could confirm whether this example is sufficient:
gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

There are two equations with three unknowns. Therefore, this system cannot have a unique solution, instead it will have an infinite number of solutions. Therefore, there cannot be a one-to-one mapping from
gif.gif
In addition to what Stephen Tashi said, your matrix A is incorrect. If T is a map from R3 to R2, any matrix representation will have to be 2 X 3, not 3 X 2.

IOW, like this:
$$ A = \begin{bmatrix}a_{11} & a_{12} & a_{13} \\ a_{21} & a_{22} & a_{23}\end{bmatrix}$$

I would use ##a_{ij}## for the components of A, ##x_1, x_2, x_3## for the components of x, and ##y_1, y_2## for the components of y.

Mark44 said:
In addition to what Stephen Tashi said, your matrix A is incorrect. If T is a map from R3 to R2, any matrix representation will have to be 2 X 3, not 3 X 2.

IOW, like this:
$$ A = \begin{bmatrix}a_{11} & a_{12} & a_{13} \\ a_{21} & a_{22} & a_{23}\end{bmatrix}$$

I would use ##a_{ij}## for the components of A, ##x_1, x_2, x_3## for the components of x, and ##y_1, y_2## for the components of y.
Thank you...so basically I should go back to the drawing board right? :D

Back to the drawing board, but using the definition of "one-to-one transformation," which is something that Stephen alluded to.

I looked at this problem again this morning and I think my main problem was that I was writing the matrix as 3x2 instead of 2x3. With that in mind, I took a more simple approach (the approach I think the instructor intended us to take) and said:
A 2x3 matrix can have at most one pivot in each of its two rows. However, 3>2, so the same matrix cannot have a pivot in each of its three columns. Therefore, the given transformation can never be one-to-one.

I can't speak for your teacher's hint, but I would do it this way: Apply A to the standard basis for R3, u= (1, 0, 0), v= (0, 1, 0), and w= (0, 0, 1). The three vectors, Au, Av, and Aw can't be independent because they are in R2 which has dimension 2. Therefore, there exist numbers x, y, and z such that xAu+ yAv+ zAw= 0. From that, zAw= -xAu- yAv so A(zw)= A(-xu- yv). Now show that zw is NOT equal to -xu- yv.

HallsofIvy said:
I can't speak for your teacher's hint, but I would do it this way: Apply A to the standard basis for R3, u= (1, 0, 0), v= (0, 1, 0), and w= (0, 0, 1). The three vectors, Au, Av, and Aw can't be independent because they are in R2 which has dimension 2. Therefore, there exist numbers x, y, and z such that xAu+ yAv+ zAw= 0. From that, zAw= -xAu- yAv so A(zw)= A(-xu- yv). Now show that zw is NOT equal to -xu- yv.
Great, thank you for the hint!

Related to One-to-One Linear Transformations

1. What is a one-to-one linear transformation?

A one-to-one linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps each input value onto a unique output value in a straight line. This means that for every input value, there is only one corresponding output value, and vice versa.

2. How is a one-to-one linear transformation represented?

A one-to-one linear transformation is typically represented using a matrix. This matrix has the same number of rows and columns, and its determinant must be non-zero in order for the transformation to be one-to-one.

3. What is the difference between a one-to-one linear transformation and a many-to-one linear transformation?

The main difference between a one-to-one linear transformation and a many-to-one linear transformation is that the former maps each input value to a unique output value, while the latter maps multiple input values to the same output value.

4. How is a one-to-one linear transformation useful in real-life applications?

One-to-one linear transformations have many real-life applications, such as in computer graphics, image processing, and data analysis. They can be used to transform and manipulate data in a linear and predictable manner, making them valuable tools in various industries.

5. Can a one-to-one linear transformation be undone?

Yes, a one-to-one linear transformation can be undone by finding the inverse of the matrix representing the transformation. This will allow you to map the output values back to the original input values, essentially undoing the transformation.