One seemingly easy problem. Please help due soon

• Thread starter intriqet
  • Start date
In summary: So, you must be careful to choose the right sign when you plus these 2 speed. In summary, The astronaut should throw the wrench away from the station to return to it. After throwing the wrench with a speed of 14.82 m/s, the astronaut's speed towards the space station will be 0.66 m/s greater than before throwing the wrench. The speed of the wrench with respect to the space station will be 15.48 m/s.
intriqet
One seemingly easy problem. Please help! due soon!

Homework Statement

An astronaut of mass 77.0 kg is taking a space walk to work on the International Space Station. Because of a malfunction with the booster rockets on his spacesuit, he finds himself drifting away from the station with a constant speed of 0.660 m/s. With the booster rockets no longer working, the only way for him to return to the station is to throw the 9.65 kg wrench he is holding.
In which direction should he throw the wrench?

away from the station
toward the station

He throws the wrench with speed 14.82 m/s with respect to himself.
After he throws the wrench, how fast is the astronaut drifting toward the space station?
What is the speed of the wrench with respect to the space station?
Your response differs from the correct answer by orders of magnitude.

Homework Equations

m1v1 = m2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

The astronaut obviously has to throw the wrench away from the station to be propelled back towards the station. I was also able to find number 2 using the formula above where m1 = mass of the astronaut + mass of the wrench. I am stuck on part 3. My intuition tells me that all I need to do to get this answer is to add 14.82 to the initial velocity of the astronaut but WebAssign will not take the answer. Please help. This is due in an hour and this is the only part of this homework that I am missing

Physics news on Phys.org

think to begin with that the are together making the equation
(m1+m2) u =m1v1+m2v2

There are 2 frames in your problem: one is space station and the other is astronaut holding wrench.

In this problem, we assume that direction of motion is away from station. It means that velocity of wrench and astronaut holding wrench is positive and velocity of astronaut after throwing wrench is negative.

From problem, we have speed of astronaut+wrench is 0.66m/s (respect to Station => v_SA = 0.66m/s). After throwing, speed of wrench respect to astronaut is 14.82 m/s ( v_AW = 14.82 m/s). To find speed of wrench respect to station, you just plus these 2 speeds: v_SW = v_AW + v_SA.

You may remember that the sign of velocity is depend on its direction respect to your frame.

Related to One seemingly easy problem. Please help due soon

1. What is the problem that needs to be solved?

The problem that needs to be solved is not specified, as it can vary depending on the situation. However, it can be any problem that appears to be easy but is causing difficulty or confusion.

2. How urgent is this problem?

This problem is stated to be due soon, which suggests that it is time-sensitive and should be addressed as soon as possible.

3. Can you provide more information about the problem?

Without more information, it is difficult to determine the exact nature of the problem. It would be helpful to provide specific details or context so that a solution can be offered.

4. What kind of assistance is needed?

It is not clear what kind of help is being sought. Are you looking for guidance, advice, or a solution? Please specify so that appropriate assistance can be provided.

5. Is there a deadline for solving this problem?

If there is a specific deadline for solving this problem, it would be helpful to know. This will allow for a more efficient and timely solution to be provided.