One question for studying Mathematical Analysis

In summary, the expert recommends starting with Elementary Analysis by Kenneth Ross for a first exposure to Calculus.
Shing
I am self-studying MA, I've learned elementary Calculus ( without vector calculus & Partial Differentiation) I've learned a bit of LA before.

I am using these textbooks:
1. introduction to Analysis (so far there is no difficulty)
2. Principles of Mathematical Analysis (this one is more difficult, and often I got stuck.)

So basically, my question is:
1. What am I supposed to learn before reading Principles of Mathematical Analysis ( so that I can read it more easily) or it is natural that to learn it with some hard time?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to know introductory analysis. This means Apostol or Spivak, or any kind of "theoretical calc" book. In particular, know epsilon delta proofs,the three hard theorems, and sequences and series. More importantly, know proofs and their techniques. A book like Velleman's How to Prove it will teach you proofs.

The reason you may be have trouble with Principles is that you do not know the rules of logic in math.

Last edited:
i think rudin (2) is hard to learn from. Since you're just starting, I'd say try out Elementary analysis by Kenneth Ross for single variables.

Which would be better for a first exposure to Calculus, Spivak or Apostol? I am planning to do the same with other books.

I'd say Spivak. I've never used Apostol, but I think he begins with integration first. While it can be done, its not a conventional approach. Simply put, you can't go wrong with Spivak. Its beyond good preparation. Even if Apostol is better, you're not screwed in any way doing Spivak.

Last edited:
A bit addition :
introduction to Analysis- by Arthur Mattuck

Thanks to everyone!

I could barely understand Principles of Mathematical Analysis, anyway, that was tough and no fun lol
I am going to finish the introduction to Analysis first! Or it is more proper to start reading the Calculus be Apostol instead?

Ross's Elementary Analysis.

Related to One question for studying Mathematical Analysis

1. What is the purpose of studying Mathematical Analysis?

Studying Mathematical Analysis allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of mathematical concepts and functions. It helps us to solve complex problems and make predictions based on numerical data.

2. What concepts are typically covered in a course on Mathematical Analysis?

A course on Mathematical Analysis typically covers topics such as limits, continuity, differentiation, integration, sequences, and series. It also includes applications of these concepts in real-world problems.

3. What skills are necessary to succeed in studying Mathematical Analysis?

To succeed in studying Mathematical Analysis, one needs a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. It is also important to have critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a strong understanding of mathematical notation and concepts.

4. How is Mathematical Analysis different from other branches of mathematics?

Mathematical Analysis is different from other branches of mathematics as it focuses on studying the behavior of mathematical functions and concepts, rather than just solving equations. It also involves the use of rigorous proofs and logical reasoning to analyze and understand mathematical concepts.

5. What are some practical applications of Mathematical Analysis?

Mathematical Analysis has many practical applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. It is used to model and solve problems related to optimization, motion, population growth, and statistical analysis.