One-point compactification of space of matrices with positive trace

In summary, this argument of Penrose and Hawking says that if any component of a matrix U is very large then q is close to the point x, and that the one-point compactification of this space of matrices is compact.
julian
Gold Member
one-point compactification of space of matrices with non-negative trace

Hi I'm a physicist and my question is a bit text-bookey but it is also part of the proof that the universe had a beginning...so could I ask anyway...You got q which is a continuous function of a 3 by 3 matrix where if any component of the matrix is very large then q is close to the point x, then with the trace of the matrix greater than or equal to zero, the one-point compactification of this space of matrices, where the point at infinity is mapped to x, is compact...please explain. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The book is "HAWKING ON THE BIG BANG AND BLACKHOLES", chapter 1, pg.20. Actually I'm going to sleep now...must look at the stuff you gave tomorrow..thanks for your response julian.

My suggestion would be to give up on Hawking and Penrose sketch of the theorem and look a more precise version, like in

Relativity and Singularities - A Short Introduction for Mathematicians
Jose Natario

http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0603190

and also Hawking and Ellis monograph cited thereof.

I think in "Relativity and Singularities - A Short Introduction for Mathematicians" they are considering a more restrictive form of the singularity theorem and as such don't need to consider this argument of Penrose and Hawking.

As for the topology imposed on the matrices...Penrose Hawking do use the Schwarz's inequality where they define the norm to be || U || = [tr (U^tU)]^{1/2}. And obviously the open balls defined by the norm could be a basis for a topological space...

This Alexandroff thing...it's like how you get the Riemann sphere from the non-compact plane + point at infinity. I'm guessing in general you need some kind of regularity at 'infinity' for the Alexandroff thing to work? I'm thinking that the q of Penrose and Hawking tends to x makes the compactification possibly.

Anyway, version of the Penrose Hawking argument is also in "The large scale structure of space-time", pages 98-99 but doesn't mention one-point compactification although I can see why it would tie in with a compactification. The basic argument is there...If any component of U were large then q would be close to x. Therefore, there is a C and a distance from x such that if any component of U is greater than C then q would lie inside this bounded segment to the future of x. If every component of U was less than or equal C then q would be inside a compact segment (a finite distance in the future of x, given by a q determined by the U's > C?) because the image of a continuous map from a compact space is also compact. Not sure how the fact that the matrices U are symmetric and have non-negative (or non-positive trace depnding on convention) come into the argument though...need to think about it some more.

When the trace is non-negative the point q lies to the future of x, whereas when it is negative q lies to the past of x...this may mean that the map from the space of all symmetric matrices to q is discontinuous if you did not restrict the trace to be non-positive and a compactification would't follow.

So for the map to q to be continuous we require that the matrices have non-negative trace - that just imposes what space we need to consider - which us just a simple partition of 6-dimensional Euclidean space. This space has a norm and so is a metric space, making it Hausdorff, and locally compact - this together with the space being non-compact are the necassary and sufficient conditions for the Alexandroff extention to be a compactification. The continuous map q then maps this compact space onto a compact segment of a geodesic with the point at infinity mapped to x.

Related to One-point compactification of space of matrices with positive trace

1. What is the purpose of one-point compactification in the space of matrices with positive trace?

The one-point compactification of a space is a technique used to add a point at infinity to the space, making it a compact space. In the context of the space of matrices with positive trace, this allows for the inclusion of matrices with infinitely large trace values, which are not included in the original space. This can be useful in certain mathematical and physical applications.

2. How is the one-point compactification of the space of matrices with positive trace defined?

The one-point compactification of a space is defined by adding a single point, denoted as ∞, to the original space and connecting it to all other points in the space through open sets. In the space of matrices with positive trace, this is done by adding a row and column of zeros to each matrix, and setting the value at the bottom right corner to ∞.

3. Is the one-point compactification of the space of matrices with positive trace unique?

No, the one-point compactification is not unique. There are different ways to add a point at infinity to a space, and the choice of which method to use may depend on the specific application or context. However, all variations of the one-point compactification will result in a compact space.

4. How does the one-point compactification affect the topology of the space of matrices with positive trace?

The one-point compactification changes the topology of the space by making it compact. This means that the space is now closed and bounded, allowing for a wider range of mathematical techniques and theorems to be applied. It also introduces a new limit point at ∞, which can affect the convergence and divergence of sequences in the space.

5. What are some applications of the one-point compactification in the space of matrices with positive trace?

The one-point compactification can be useful in various mathematical and physical applications, such as in the study of dynamical systems, quantum mechanics, and topology. It allows for the inclusion of infinite values in the space, which can be helpful in certain calculations and theoretical models. It also provides a more complete understanding of the structure and properties of the space of matrices with positive trace.