One-One Function Homework Help

• Thread starter LiHJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the question asks for the largest possible domain of a one-to-one function, meaning the interval on the horizontal axis where the function is either strictly increasing or strictly decreasing. The largest possible domain is therefore an interval of length pi/2, such as [pi/4, 3pi/4].
LiHJ

Homework Statement

Dear Mentors and PF helpers,

Please help me to understand this question. Thank you for your time.
[/B]
image.jpg

Homework Equations

My understanding of a one-one function is that if a horizontal line where to intersect the curve, there should be only 1 intersection.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

1) My questions is what does "the largest possible" domain means?

Does it mean to find the widest interval between the lower limit and the higher limit? Or does it mean that the upper limit should be as great as possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
LiHJ said:

Homework Statement

Dear Mentors and PF helpers,

Please help me to understand this question. Thank you for your time.
[/B]
View attachment 77164

Homework Equations

My understanding of a one-one function is that if a horizontal line where to intersect the curve, there should be only 1 intersection.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

1) My questions is what does "the largest possible" domain means?

Does it mean to find the widest interval between the lower limit and the higher limit? Or does it mean that the upper limit should be as great as possible?
No, it means the largest interval on the horizontal axis for which the function is one-to-one.

Dear Sirs,

Than can the answer be [ pi/4, 3pi/2].

Thank you

LiHJ said:
Dear Sirs,

Than can the answer be [ pi/4, 3pi/2].
No, that's too large an interval.

Dear Sirs,

Why it is too large an interval? That section that I mentioned is also within the definition of a one one function. Why it is that we have to specifically choose [-pi/4,pi/4], there are many sections to choose as well.

LiHJ said:
Dear Sirs,

Why it is too large an interval?
Because your function is not one-to-one on that interval (i.e., on ##[\pi/4, 3\pi/2]##. Did you mean ##[\pi/4, 3\pi/4]## instead?
LiHJ said:
That section that I mentioned is also within the definition of a one one function. Why it is that we have to specifically choose [-pi/4,pi/4], there are many sections to choose as well.
Yes, any interval of the right length will do. What you want is an interval on which the function is either increasing on the entire interval or decreasing on the entire interval.

Dear Sirs,

Sorry I typed wrongly, you i mean [ pi/4, 3pi/4 ]. So my answer should be acceptable as well?

LiHJ said:
Dear Sirs,

Sorry I typed wrongly, you i mean [ pi/4, 3pi/4 ]. So my answer should be acceptable as well?
I'm not sure. The question was "what is the largest possible domain?" so I think they are looking for an interval length rather than an interval. The length of the largest possible domain is ##\pi/2##.

Thank you very much;)

Related to One-One Function Homework Help

1. What is a one-to-one function?

A one-to-one function is a type of mathematical relation in which every element in the domain is paired with exactly one element in the range. This means that each input has a unique output and no two inputs have the same output. In other words, a one-to-one function passes both the vertical line test and the horizontal line test.

2. How do you determine if a function is one-to-one?

To determine if a function is one-to-one, you can use the horizontal line test. If a horizontal line intersects the graph of the function at more than one point, then the function is not one-to-one. Another way to determine if a function is one-to-one is to check if each input has a unique output. If any two inputs have the same output, then the function is not one-to-one.

3. What are some real-life examples of one-to-one functions?

Real-life examples of one-to-one functions include a one-to-one correspondence between a person's phone number and their name, a one-to-one mapping between a student and their student ID number, and a one-to-one relationship between a person's social security number and their identity.

4. Can a function be both one-to-one and onto?

Yes, a function can be both one-to-one and onto. A function that is both one-to-one and onto is called a bijective function. This means that each input has a unique output and every element in the range is paired with at least one element in the domain.

5. How do you graph a one-to-one function?

To graph a one-to-one function, you can plot points on a coordinate plane or use a graphing calculator. Make sure to use a ruler or straight edge to draw a straight line between each point. It is also helpful to label the axes and give the graph a title. Additionally, you can use the inverse function to graph a one-to-one function. The inverse function will be a reflection of the original function over the line y=x.