Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

One-on-one thread oriented chat

bwpbruce

Sep 11, 2014
This seems like a great site. My only quibble is there should be a "direct chat" or rather a "1 on 1 chat" feature. In my humble opinion, such a feature would increase engagement and clarifications of conversations made in the threads. I think someone should at least give it a trial run and see how it goes.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
This seems like a great site. My only quibble is there should be a "direct chat" or rather a "1 on 1 chat" feature. In my humble opinion, such a feature would increase engagement and clarifications of conversations made in the threads. I think someone should at least give it a trial run and see how it goes.
While not as quick, this (clarification of statements) could be carried out either with private messaging or visitor messaging, or even in the thread itself. Also, there are many third party programs for the purpose of one-on-one chatting that could be used for this purpose.

However, if I find a product designed for vBulletin for this purpose that would work well here and not tax our resources too much, I would be willing to investigate this further and discuss it with the rest of the senior staff. :D

bwpbruce

Sep 11, 2014
Thanks for responding to my post.

In my opinion, adding this feature would increase site productivity by 1000%

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Thank you for the suggestion. While I can appreciate the desire to have a chat like way of quickly talking to another member, that is not in line with the goals of this site. Any clarifications should be asked and answered publicly so others may learn from the discussion in the future. Anything personal or sensitive may be communicated through private messages but anything math related should be out in the open and available for all.

bwpbruce

Sep 11, 2014
Thank you for the suggestion. While I can appreciate the desire to have a chat like way of quickly talking to another member, that is not in line with the goals of this site. Any clarifications should be asked and answered publicly so others may learn from the discussion in the future. Anything personal or sensitive may be communicated through private messages but anything math related should be out in the open and available for all.
It doesn't have to be private, per se. The way I see it, it can work like this:
A person posts a thread. In the thread, everything works as usual, with the option of using chat to directly chat with someone who is already online and already helping them. Ideally, the chat would be thread-oriented, which means it can only be accessed in the thread. Each response in the chat also posts to the thread and the rules can be established so that users know that the chat is only for thread purposes and not for private conversation. Again, I never intended to imply that this chat idea would be for anything private. I was just thinking about a more engaging and productive way to participate in thread discussions that everyone can come to appreciate in my humble opinion.

Bacterius

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
[JUSTIFY]I can actually see how that might be useful. It's not uncommon that I am answering a post and the other member is sitting there waiting for my reply and I'm thinking "it would be way more efficient if I could just get an instant messaging conversation with this guy". Kind of like the public stackexchange chat rooms (yes, I keep bringing them up, but that's because these kinds of websites are completely streamlined towards efficiency, admittedly at the expense of conviviality). I am not entirely sure if it would fit in the context of a traditional math forum, however. I mean, few members would probably even realize such a feature exists, and pointing it out to them would appear to defeat the purpose. It would have to be incredibly obvious - just throwing some ideas out there, but perhaps the unused borders on the left or right sides of the webpage could be put to some use by installing a per-thread shoutbox in them. But as I said, unconventional.[/JUSTIFY]

bwpbruce

Sep 11, 2014
[JUSTIFY]I mean, few members would probably even realize such a feature exists, and pointing it out to them would appear to defeat the purpose.[/JUSTIFY]
An auto-alert in the lower right corner could be created with the following message:

"Bacterius is also viewing this thread. Click here to chat with him about this question"

well....something like that