One of those hand shaking problems

• Thread starter ashi_mashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hand
In summary, the problem involves 14 couples and hand shaking. Each person is asked how many times they shook hands and each person gives a different answer. The boy's date must be one of the two people who shook hands 13 times, and the total number of hand shakings is 26. This leads to the conclusion that the boy is his date's partner and the problem can be solved.
ashi_mashi
Hi agian...
I have one of those hand shaking problems..it says:
There are 14 couples. There is some shaking of hands. No one shakes hand of their date. No one shakes hands more than once with anyone person. A boy asks each person how many times they shook hands. Each person gave him a different answer. How many times did the boy's date shake hands?Now, i thought it well through and i got the idea that assuming that everyone shook hands, then the total number of hand shakings would be "26+25+24+...+13+13+12..+1+0". (I drew a little sketch ) I thought that since there are two 13's (i'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure;)) then, the boy has to be one of those 13's. And the problem is kinda solved...but, the TOTAL number that everyone shakes hands is the same, that is 26...so, i guess it can't be solved this way...anyway, I'm a little confused...i guess there is another way to solve it, or maybe i shouldn't assume that everyone shakes hands.

Thanks agian.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've gotten it right, with the reasonable assumption that no one shakes their own hand. There are 28 people. The boy asks 27 different people and gets 27 different responses. By the rules, no one can shake hands with more than 26 people, so the responses ranged from 0-26. The person who shook hands with 26 people shook hands with everyone except him/herself and the person who shook hands with 0 people. So {0, 26} must be a couple. By the same reasoning, the rest of the couples are {1, 25}, {2, 24}, ... {13, 13}. Also, by the time you get to 13, 13 has already shaken hands with 14-26, and 0-12 are already paired with their dates, so the boy must be 13's date.

It seems like you have a good start to solving this problem, but you're right, assuming that everyone shakes hands may not be the best approach. Instead, try to think about the problem in terms of the total number of handshakes and how many times each person shakes hands. For example, if each person shook hands with 13 other people, then the total number of handshakes would be 14 * 13 = 182, which is much higher than the total number of handshakes you calculated.

Another approach you could take is to think about the relationship between the boy's date and the number of handshakes they had. Since no one shakes hands with their date, the boy's date must have shaken hands with every other person in the room. So, if we subtract the number of handshakes the boy's date had from the total number of handshakes, we can find the number of handshakes between the other 13 couples. From there, you can try to figure out the number of handshakes each person had and see if that leads you to a solution.

Don't get discouraged, problem-solving can be tricky sometimes, but keep thinking and trying different approaches and you'll eventually find the solution. Good luck!

Related to One of those hand shaking problems

What is the "hand shaking problem"?

The "hand shaking problem" refers to a well-known mathematical problem that involves determining the number of handshakes that occur when a group of people greet each other. It is often used as a way to introduce students to basic concepts in combinatorics and can have real-life applications in fields such as network analysis and virus transmission.

How does one solve the "hand shaking problem"?

To solve the "hand shaking problem", one must first understand the basic principles of combinatorics. The number of handshakes can be calculated by using the formula n(n-1)/2, where n represents the number of people in the group. This formula is derived from the fact that each person shakes hands with every other person in the group, except for themselves. By plugging in the number of people in the group, the total number of handshakes can be determined.

Can the "hand shaking problem" have real-world applications?

Yes, the "hand shaking problem" can have real-world applications in fields such as network analysis and virus transmission. In network analysis, the concept of handshakes can be used to understand and analyze the connections and interactions between individuals or nodes in a network. In virus transmission, the "hand shaking problem" can be used to model the spread of a virus among a group of people through physical contact.

What variations of the "hand shaking problem" exist?

There are several variations of the "hand shaking problem" that involve different scenarios or constraints. One variation is the "group handshaking problem", where a group of people must shake hands in a circular pattern. Another variation is the "indirect handshaking problem", where handshakes can only occur between people who have not yet shaken hands with each other. These variations can add complexity and challenge to the problem, making it more interesting for students and researchers to explore.

What skills can be developed by solving the "hand shaking problem"?

Solving the "hand shaking problem" can help develop important skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and mathematical reasoning. It can also improve one's understanding of combinatorics and its applications in various fields. Additionally, the problem can help develop teamwork and communication skills when solved in a group setting, as different perspectives and approaches can lead to a more efficient solution.