One loop corrections to Compton scattering

In summary, the conversation discusses a process where a photon couples to a gluon via a quark loop insertion. There are a total of eight diagrams at one loop, but only six of them are nonzero due to color constraints. The two distinct diagrams are shown in the image, with the direction of momentum affecting the integral representation. The question is about the possibility of redrawing diagrams 1) and 2) in a way that makes sense, as they seem to have an initial and final state particle in the wrong positions. This is important for understanding the process.
CAF123
Gold Member
At next to leading order, a photon may couple to gluon via means of a quark loop insertion. Consider the process $$ \gamma(k_1) + g(p_1) \rightarrow \gamma(k_2) + g(p_2)$$ Apparantly there are eight diagrams at one loop contributing to this process and two are zero on grounds of colour constraints. The six non zero diagrams are shown in the image (the pencilled in momenta is due to me, time flows from left to right so I think we always have a ##k_1## and a ##p_1## on the left hand side and ##k_2## and ##p_2## on the right)

I understand that diagrams 3), 4), 5) and 6) are different but I don't see how diagrams 1) and 2) make sense. I redrew diagrams 5) and 6) to have the standard box structure of 3) and 4) (in 5) and 6) the two gluons are on vertices diagonally across from each other when drawn in this way) and with a different direction of route momentum this would ultimately give different integral representations for these two processes.

When I redraw 1) and 2) in a similar manner, I get ##p_2## as an initial state particle (i.e appearing on the left of the diagram) and ##p_1## as a final state one (i.e appearing on the right) so I don't see how this diagram contributes.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Gluons.jpg
    Gluons.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 778
Physics news on Phys.org
Basically my question is how to see that diagrams 1) and 2) in the diagram posted in the OP can be redrawn as one of the two topologically distinct diagrams shown in the below image: (I like to see the diagrams in this way because it is easier for me to understand what is going on)

Attachments

• gluondiags.png
    gluondiags.png
    3 KB · Views: 649

Related to One loop corrections to Compton scattering

1. What is Compton scattering?

Compton scattering is an interaction between a photon and an electron, in which the photon transfers some of its energy and momentum to the electron, resulting in a change in the electron's wavelength and direction.

2. What are one loop corrections?

One loop corrections refer to quantum corrections that involve a single closed loop of virtual particles in a Feynman diagram. These corrections account for the quantum nature of particles and their interactions, and are important in understanding and predicting physical phenomena.

3. Why are one loop corrections important in Compton scattering?

One loop corrections are important in Compton scattering because they account for the quantum effects of the electron-photon interaction. These corrections can significantly affect the predicted outcome of the scattering process and must be taken into consideration for accurate results.

4. How are one loop corrections calculated in Compton scattering?

One loop corrections to Compton scattering are calculated using quantum field theory techniques, which involve summing over all possible Feynman diagrams that contribute to the scattering process. This can be a complex and time-consuming process, but it allows for precise predictions of the scattering cross-section.

5. What are the implications of one loop corrections in Compton scattering?

The implications of one loop corrections in Compton scattering are important in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles on the quantum level. These corrections can affect the observed scattering cross-section and can also provide insight into the fundamental interactions and properties of particles.