One group modified and Two group theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between two reactor calculations: the two-group model and the multi-group model. The two-group model solves two-coupled differential equations for the neutron flux, while the multi-group model is more intuitive and accounts for the energy dependence of cross-sections. The conversation also mentions the effects of these differences when modeling non-homogenous assemblies and the concept of upscatter, where neutrons can transfer energy and momentum to each other during collisions. Overall, the multi-group model is seen as a more advanced and comprehensive approach compared to the simpler two-group model.
koab1mjr
What is the big difference between the two reactor calculations. They seem to be virtually the same?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would disagree. The two-group model is also often expanded into a multi-group model with more than two energy groups.

The two group model solves two-coupled differential equations for the neutron flux instead of one. The one group model also requires a lot of information which is more suited to a multi-group or monte-carlo model such as the non-leakage probabilities, resonance absorption, fast-fission factor ect. In most cases these are artificial values or calculated by one of the more advanced models. In the two-group model these variables are treated more naturally because you can account for some of the energy dependence of the cross-sections.

The multi-group model is also very intuitive. For each of the energy groups you have some probability that the neutrons in it will upscatter to one of the higher energies, get absorbed, down scatter (moderated), or diffuse to a different location. The magnitude of these probabilities are determined by the coefficients.

The effects of these differences become more clear when you start modeling non-homogenous assemblies. Since neutrons created locations in the fuel have different distances to the moderator they also have different non-absorption probabilities. In the one group modified this usually is not accounted for (unless you have a position dependent value which I have never seen done, but there is no reason you couldn't that I'm aware of). Similar things happen near control rods where the effect depends on the energy level. The boundary conditions on the flux can also be different for the multi-group model.

OK thanks a bunch. I was not satisfied with the answer my professor gave me. One follow on.

How is upscatter accomplished? I would think that the max would be no energy loss due to a glancing scatter. Or is the neutron being absorbed by an already excited nucleus and then is ejecting all of its excitation energy to the neutron to regain a ground state.

We never talked about that. I saw the multi group model thing in the book though, So really 2 group is just the simplest case of the multigroup model.

Upscatter is generally a small, but non-zero effect. It isn't usually discussed when being introduced to the multi-group model because it makes the equations look more complicated. I included it because I like the resulting symmetry it produces in the equations. To me it makes it obvious that the coefficients mean things are scattering out of the neutron energy range of that group.

The easiest way to explain up scatter is with the billiard ball model of neutrons. Think of the speed of atoms in thermal equilibrium. There a distribution of energies, some have above average speed, some have below average speed. If this is at equilibrium then there must be some phenomena that prevents them from all having the same energy. Now think of the geometry of the collisions.

If you have two neutrons separated with velocity vectors 90 degrees apart, with equal energy and on a collision course. If they hit each other with perfect timing and geometry they will both scatter and end up with the same energy. Now if instead, one neutron then hits the side or back of the other neutron it can transfer it's energy and momentum to the first. This results in one neutron with higher energy and one with lower.

While I described it with neutrons, the same process can take place with anything that undergoes collisions. Neutron-nucleus for example also works. You can end up with fast moving atomic nuclei in different ways, fission fragments for example can have significant energy for short periods of time. The total effect from up-scatter is usually small but it is still included especially when you have very narrow energy groups.

I can provide a response to the content regarding the One group modified and Two group theory and the differences between the two reactor calculations.

The One group modified theory is a simplified version of the Two group theory, which is commonly used in reactor calculations. In the One group modified theory, the reactor is modeled as a single homogenous group, while in the Two group theory, the reactor is divided into two groups based on the energy of the neutrons. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the neutron flux and power distribution in the reactor.

The big difference between the two reactor calculations lies in the level of detail and accuracy. The One group modified theory assumes that all neutrons have the same energy, which may not be the case in reality. On the other hand, the Two group theory takes into account the different energies of the neutrons, resulting in a more accurate calculation of the neutron flux and power distribution.

Additionally, the Two group theory allows for a more detailed analysis of the reactor, as it takes into account the different cross sections and material properties of the two groups of neutrons. This can be particularly important in reactors with complex geometries or materials.

In summary, while the One group modified and Two group theory may seem similar, the Two group theory is a more advanced and accurate method for reactor calculations, taking into account the different energies and properties of neutrons.

Related to One group modified and Two group theory

1. What is the difference between one group modified theory and two group theory?

One group modified theory is a statistical approach used to compare two groups with a single independent variable, while two group theory is used to compare two groups with two independent variables. The main difference is the number of independent variables being analyzed.

2. How are one group modified and two group theory used in scientific research?

One group modified and two group theory are commonly used in experimental and correlational studies to compare the effects of different variables on a dependent variable. They provide a statistical framework for analyzing and interpreting the results of these studies.

3. What are the assumptions of one group modified and two group theory?

The main assumptions of both one group modified and two group theory include normality of data, homogeneity of variance, and independence of observations. Additionally, two group theory also assumes that the two groups being compared are independent of each other.

4. How do you determine which statistical test to use for one group modified and two group theory?

The choice of statistical test depends on the research question and the type of data being analyzed. One group modified theory typically uses t-tests or ANOVA, while two group theory uses ANOVA or regression analysis. It is important to select a test that is appropriate for the data and research design.

5. Can one group modified and two group theory be used for non-experimental data?

Yes, one group modified and two group theory can be used for both experimental and non-experimental data. However, the results may be less reliable for non-experimental data as there may be confounding variables that are not controlled for. It is important to carefully consider the study design and potential biases when using these theories for non-experimental data.