One-dimensional wave equation with non-constant speed

In summary: I think not, because the initial conditions are probably going to be in the form u(t=0,x)=f(x) and \frac{∂u}{∂t}(t=0,x)=g(x), because it is an infinite string (no boundary conditions). But if I we separate variables (i.e. u(x,t)=X(x)*T(t)), we have to put a single value and not a function for initial conditions (example: X(0)=value, instead of u(t=0,x)= function).
j5rp

Homework Statement

The cross-section of a long string (string along the x axis) is not constant, but it changes wit the coordinate x sinusoidally. Explore how a wave, caused with a short stroke, spreads through the string.

Homework Equations

Relevant is the one-dimensional wave equation, where the wave speed c is not a constant (i.e. c=√T/ρS, where T is the string tension, ρ is the density of the string, and S is the cross-section).

The cross-section:
S=S1+S2*Sin[x]

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought about using Laplace transformation so that I get an ordinary differential equation. I also have trouble with the initial conditions, I don't know what is meant by short stroke, or if it really matters.

Physics news on Phys.org
I interpret 'short stroke' as simply meaning it is a small perturbation.
Can you write down the wave equation?

The wave equation:

(∂^2 u)/(∂t)^2 = c^2 (∂^2 u)/(∂x)^2,

where u is displacement of the string and c is the wave speed. c is not a constant, because c^2 = T/S, where T is the string tension and S is the cross-sectional area and is dependant on x. S[x]=S1+S2*Sin[x].

(Sorry about the formatting. The ∂ stands for derivative.)

j5rp said:
The wave equation:

(∂^2 u)/(∂t)^2 = c^2 (∂^2 u)/(∂x)^2,

where u is displacement of the string and c is the wave speed. c is not a constant, because c^2 = T/S, where T is the string tension and S is the cross-sectional area and is dependant on x. S[x]=S1+S2*Sin[x].

(Sorry about the formatting. The ∂ stands for derivative.)

In LaTeX: ##\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2} = c^2\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}##.
So, plugging in the expression for c(x), can you apply e.g. separation of variables?

So, plugging in the expression for c(x), can you apply e.g. separation of variables?

I think not, because the initial conditions are probably going to be in the form u(t=0,x)=f(x) and [itex]\frac{∂u}{∂t}[/itex](t=0,x)=g(x), because it is an infinite string (no boundary conditions). But if I we separate variables (i.e. u(x,t)=X(x)*T(t)), we have to put a single value and not a function for initial conditions (example: X(0)=value, instead of u(t=0,x)= function).

I was wandering if d'Alembert's formula applies if speed of propagation (also c in the link) is not constant?

Related to One-dimensional wave equation with non-constant speed

1. What is the one-dimensional wave equation with non-constant speed?

The one-dimensional wave equation with non-constant speed is a mathematical representation of a wave moving in one direction, where the speed of the wave changes over time or distance.

2. How is the one-dimensional wave equation with non-constant speed different from the one-dimensional wave equation with constant speed?

The main difference between the two equations is that in the one-dimensional wave equation with non-constant speed, the speed of the wave is not a constant value, but rather a function of time or distance. This allows for more complex and realistic wave behavior to be modeled.

3. What factors affect the speed of a wave in the one-dimensional wave equation with non-constant speed?

The speed of a wave in the one-dimensional wave equation with non-constant speed can be affected by a variety of factors, including the medium through which the wave is traveling, any external forces acting on the wave, and the shape and properties of the wave itself.

4. How is the one-dimensional wave equation with non-constant speed used in real-world applications?

The one-dimensional wave equation with non-constant speed has many practical applications, such as in acoustics, electromagnetics, and fluid dynamics. It is used to model and predict the behavior of waves in various systems, and can help engineers and scientists understand and improve the performance of these systems.

5. What are some limitations of the one-dimensional wave equation with non-constant speed?

While the one-dimensional wave equation with non-constant speed is a useful tool for modeling waves, it has some limitations. For example, it assumes that the medium through which the wave is traveling is uniform and linear, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. It also does not take into account any dissipative forces, such as friction, which can affect the behavior of waves.