One dimensional motion problems.

In summary, the conversation is about three physics problems related to one-dimensional motion. The first problem involves a plane landing and requires finding acceleration, time, and the coefficient of friction. The second problem involves a truck entering a highway and needing to accelerate to a certain velocity while considering the flow of traffic behind it. The final problem involves a police car trying to catch up to robbers within a certain amount of time. The conversation also includes equations and attempts at solving the problems.
picklepie159

Homework Statement

Hi, Physics Forum!
I have three problems. Since I am having a physics final on Tuesday, I am very nervous that I don't get these. These all concern one-dimensional motion.

1.) A plane is landing on the runway. It stops after 1100 meters, with an initial velocity of 110 meters. The mass is 4000 kilograms. Find A, time, and the coefficient of friction.

2.) A truck enters a highway at velocity of 10 m/s. It must accelerate to 25 m/s in 30 secs. Find the displacement and the acceleration. Now imagine that the flow of traffic is coming behind the truck at 20 m/s. How far away must the truck be not to crash into the traffic?

3.) A police car is at rest when a group of robbers pass them at 35 m/s. The officer starts accelerating when the crooks are at 500 m away. He must catch up to them within 30 seconds. What is the acceleration and displacement covered by the cop?

Homework Equations

I can't really type equations, So I basically know all of the one dimensional motion equations.
(I think). I'm sorry if you view this as lazy, but I am pretty tired right now and might pass out on the computer. Sorry.

The Attempt at a Solution

For number 1, I got the acceleration as -5.5 m/s squared. The time is 20 seconds. Now I am not sure about the mu. Net force is 22000 N, But I can't find anything else (ie. Applied force) to get Mu.

2.) I got the acceleration as 0.5 m/s squared. I then used the displacement forumula, to get d= 525 meters. I don't understand what equation I could use to find the distance from the traffic to the truck.

3.) I got the acceleration as 1.1 m/s squared. Besides that, I am totally lost. I know there is a policy that I have to try to solve my questions first, bit this is way beyond me. You don't have to give me the answers- a small nudge or clue towards it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for answering!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi picklepie159! :smile:
picklepie159 said:
For number 1, I got the acceleration as -5.5 m/s squared. The time is 20 seconds. Now I am not sure about the mu. Net force is 22000 N, But I can't find anything else (ie. Applied force) to get Mu.

that's fine so far! :smile:

now use F = ma and F = µN :wink:
2.) I got the acceleration as 0.5 m/s squared. I then used the displacement forumula, to get d= 525 meters. I don't understand what equation I could use to find the distance from the traffic to the truck.

now you need to write two equations, one for the truck, and one for "the traffic", both to meet at the same place (but different displacements of course, and the same time t)

(same for question 3)

Related to One dimensional motion problems.

1. What is one dimensional motion?

One dimensional motion refers to the movement of a body or object in a straight line along a single axis. It only takes into account the displacement of the object and does not consider any changes in direction.

2. What are some common examples of one dimensional motion?

Some common examples of one dimensional motion include a car moving in a straight line, a pendulum swinging back and forth, and a ball rolling down a ramp.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity in one dimensional motion?

Speed refers to the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity refers to the rate at which an object is moving in a specific direction. In one dimensional motion, speed and velocity are often used interchangeably since there is no change in direction.

4. How do you calculate the displacement of an object in one dimensional motion?

The displacement of an object in one dimensional motion can be calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position. This gives the net distance traveled by the object.

5. How does acceleration play a role in one dimensional motion?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. In one dimensional motion, acceleration can cause a change in the speed of an object, but not its direction since it is only moving along a single axis.