One dimensional motion- object accelerating straight downwards

In summary, a rocket is fired vertically downwards from a building of height "H" with an acceleration given by a(t) = βt. The time it takes for the rocket to hit the ground and its speed at impact can be found by integrating the position function and solving for "t". The formula for constant acceleration should not be used in this case.
texan14
One dimensional motion-- object accelerating straight downwards

Homework Statement

A rocket, initially at rest, is fired at "t = 0" vertically down from a building of height "H". The rocket's acceleration, including the effects of gravity, is downwards with increasing magnitude given by a(t) = βt, where "β" is a known constant. When does it hit the ground and how fast is it going when it hits?

Homework Equations

xf = xi + vi*t + (1/2)*a*t2

The Attempt at a Solution

xf = (0) + vi*t + (1/2)*β*t2

I plugged everything into this equation, but it doesn't look right. I'm really confused. thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Texan14,

Is the acceleration constant? If not, why do you want to use the formula for constant acceleration?

Go back to the definition of acceleration.

ehild

I decided to integrate until I got the position function and solved for "t" and just plugged that into v(t). Thank you for your help, I don't know why I wanted to use that equation! haha

It does not hurt to read the the problem before plugging in everything to everywhere...:-p

ehild

I would approach this problem by first identifying the known variables and the given information. From the problem statement, we know that:
- The initial position of the rocket (xi) is at the top of the building, which we can assume to be the origin (xi = 0).
- The final position of the rocket (xf) is at the ground, which we can assume to be a height of 0.
- The initial velocity of the rocket (vi) is 0, since it is initially at rest.
- The acceleration of the rocket (a) is given by a(t) = βt, where t is the time and β is a known constant.

Using the equation xf = xi + vi*t + (1/2)*a*t^2, we can substitute in the known values and solve for t:
0 = 0 + 0*t + (1/2)*β*t^2
0 = (1/2)*β*t^2
0 = t^2

This equation does not have a single, unique solution for t. However, we can interpret this result as meaning that the rocket will hit the ground at two different times: t = 0 and t = ∞ (since the rocket will continue to accelerate downwards indefinitely).

To find the speed of the rocket when it hits the ground, we can use the equation v = vi + a*t. Since vi = 0, we can simplify this to v = a*t. Plugging in the value of a(t) = βt, we get v = βt. At t = 0, the rocket has a speed of 0, but as t increases, the speed of the rocket will also increase. We can see that as t approaches ∞, the speed of the rocket will also approach ∞, meaning it will be going very fast when it hits the ground.

In conclusion, the rocket will hit the ground at two different times (t = 0 and t = ∞) and its speed when it hits will approach infinity. This is due to the constant acceleration downwards and the fact that the rocket is initially at rest.

Related to One dimensional motion- object accelerating straight downwards

What is one dimensional motion?

One dimensional motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line without changing direction.

What is object accelerating straight downwards?

Object accelerating straight downwards is a type of one dimensional motion where an object is moving in a straight line and increasing its speed as it moves towards the ground due to the force of gravity.

How is acceleration calculated in one dimensional motion?

Acceleration in one dimensional motion is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

What factors affect the acceleration of an object in one dimensional motion?

The acceleration of an object in one dimensional motion is affected by the net force acting on the object and its mass. The greater the net force, the greater the acceleration, and the greater the mass, the smaller the acceleration.

Can an object in one dimensional motion accelerate downwards forever?

No, an object in one dimensional motion cannot accelerate downwards forever. It will eventually reach a maximum velocity known as terminal velocity, where the force of air resistance is equal to the force of gravity, causing the object to stop accelerating and continue at a constant speed.