On titles of publications in earlier times

In summary, ancient publications often started with 'on' because it made the subject more clearly defined and internally consistent. Titles that started with 'on' were seen by modern editors as more dignified and pompous than titles that started with 'about'.
feynman1
Why did ancient publications so often start with 'on'? E.g. on the theory of... Why didn't they regard 'on' as redundant if all publications started with the same word, like emails starting with 'about' or 'on'?

Science news on Phys.org
"It's complicated..."

• Haha
Likes anorlunda
feynman1 said:
Why did ancient publications so often start with 'on'? E.g. on the theory of... Why didn't they regard 'on' as redundant if all publications started with the same word, like emails starting with 'about' or 'on'?
Without "on" it would mean the entire theory. With "on" it's only a part of it. This makes a huge difference.

• Informative
Likes BillTre, Lord Jestocost and Baluncore
On the subject of on-going discussion, as the subject is expanded and the implications are investigated, the field gradually becomes better defined and internally consistent.

Regarding emails, the title of continuations begin with Re: ...
A new thread on a new subject does not begin with Re:

It is still used but perhaps not in the titles of science papers.
Have you never used the phrase "While we are on the subject of..."? Or perhaps "while we are on the topic"?
It is (presumably?) using the same structure.

I did actually try to write a paper that had a title that started with "on the" a few years ago (not to be funny, but because I thought it would be appropriate considering the content), but the editor changed the title:frown:..

Likes atyy
f95toli said:
It is still used but perhaps not in the titles of science papers.
Have you never used the phrase "While we are on the subject of..."? Or perhaps "while we are on the topic"?
It is (presumably?) using the same structure.

I did actually try to write a paper that had a title that started with "on the" a few years ago (not to be funny, but because I thought it would be appropriate considering the content), but the editor changed the title:frown:..
That's interesting. What was the editor's reason?

I actually published a paper (in a peer reviewed journal) with a title that began “on the …”. In hindsight I don’t particularly like the title, but I was still in grad school when I wrote it so hopefully it can be forgiven.

I hope this doesn’t mean I’m ancient. 😯

• Haha
Likes atyy
Freely speculating here. What could have happened was that back in the day publications were written in Latin. They'd often start with 'de' (i.e. 'about', 'on', etc.), as in De revolutionibus orbium caelestium, De motu corporum (in Principia). Possibly not as much because it's linguistically necessary to frame this kind of a sentence that way, and more because that's the standard structure that was taught in academia (it being a dead language for a long time now).
When translated into English, the form 'on' has a bit more dignified register than something like 'about', so it'd be preferred.
As Latin ceased to be the lingua franca of the scientific community, people still carried on with the 'on', by linguistic inertia. I.e. if you were writing a paper, you'd use sentence structures that were traditionally associated with the scientific context.
But the further away from the Latin roots, the more archaic and pompous it sounds, so there's little love left for the 'ons' in the eye of a modern editor.

That's the story I came up with o0)

Likes feynman1 and BillTre
Coincidentally,. this paper appeared in my feed this morning

On the static effective Hamiltonian of a rapidly driven nonlinear system​

https://arxiv.org/abs/2108.02861
Which I guess shows that it is indeed still used

Likes jasonRF, Klystron and atyy
jasonRF said:
I actually published a paper (in a peer reviewed journal) with a title that began “on the …”.
Me too, twice.

• Wow
Likes atyy
The best boiler-plate lead-in for any paper, ever, has got to be:

Harry Potter and the ... static effective Hamiltonian of a rapidly driven nonlinear system

• Haha
Likes jasonRF and atyy
f95toli said:
Coincidentally,. this paper appeared in my feed this morning

On the static effective Hamiltonian of a rapidly driven nonlinear system​

https://arxiv.org/abs/2108.02861
Which I guess shows that it is indeed still used
It's not yet accepted in a peer-reviewed journal. Its title will change then.

feynman1 said:
That's interesting. What was the editor's reason?
Modern style. In ancient times, people had time to read papers. Now they only have time to read titles :frown: So the result must be in the title.

• Love
Likes epenguin and Bystander
atyy said:
Modern style. In ancient times, people had time to read papers. Now they only have time to read titles :frown: So the result must be in the title.
Are titles allowed to be longer in the digital age?

Could we change the title of this thread to "On Ancient publications starting with 'On'"?

• Haha
Likes jasonRF, atyy, DaveC426913 and 1 other person
George Jones said:
Could we change the title of this thread to "On Ancient publications starting with 'On'"?
+1 please

• Haha
Likes jasonRF
George Jones said:

DaveC426913 said:
+1 please
Done. :cool:

• Haha
Likes Frabjous, jasonRF and Keith_McClary

Related to On titles of publications in earlier times

1. What types of publications were common in earlier times?

In earlier times, the most common types of publications were books, pamphlets, and newspapers. These were typically printed on paper and distributed by hand or through mail.

2. How were titles of publications chosen in earlier times?

The titles of publications in earlier times were often chosen by the author or publisher. They were meant to be short and catchy, while also accurately describing the content of the publication.

3. Were there any regulations or guidelines for titles of publications in earlier times?

In some cases, there were regulations or guidelines for titles of publications in earlier times. For example, in England during the 16th and 17th centuries, publications had to be approved by the Stationers' Company before they could be printed and distributed.

4. How did titles of publications in earlier times differ from titles today?

Titles of publications in earlier times were often longer and more descriptive than titles today. They also tended to be more formal and less creative. Additionally, titles were often written in Latin or other languages rather than in the local vernacular.

5. What were some common elements included in titles of publications in earlier times?

Some common elements included in titles of publications in earlier times were the author's name, the subject or topic of the publication, and sometimes the location or date of publication. Religious or political references were also common, as well as grandiose or sensational language.