Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] On the posting of multi-part questions

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
edit by MarkFL:

Very recently, one of our users was getting help with a 7 part problem, and the issue on whether all parts of the question should be posted in the same topic arose. I split the posts to begin a discussion on that point.

end edit.

So post the next part in a new thread...

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Re: vectors in a box

So post the next part in a new thread...
I appreciate that you are looking out for the best possible organization of MHB's topics. (Sun)

I reviewed forum rule #8:

Do not ask too many questions in one thread. Do not ask more than two questions in a post. And do not tag new questions onto a thread that have nothing to do with the original question (follow-up questions are OK). Otherwise the thread gets convoluted and difficult to follow. It is better for forum organization and better for you to get your questions answered in a more timely manner if you start new threads as necessary for remaining questions. eg. If you have five questions, post two of them in two threads and start a new thread for the remaining one etc. And if the question has more than two parts to it, it is best to post only that question and its parts in the thread and start a new thread for other questions.
My interpretation is that a multi-part question, in which the parts are related and build upon one another, is fine to be posted in the same topic in its entirety, so that no reference(s) to previous topic(s) is necessary.

I am going to move these posts into a separate topic in the Questions, Comments, and Feedback sub-forum so that others may weigh in on this and we don't derail the original topic.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Re: vectors in a box

My interpretation is that a multi-part question, in which the parts are related and build upon one another, is fine to be posted in the same topic in its entirety, so that no reference(s) to previous topic(s) is necessary.
Interpretation correct.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
A 7-part question is pretty rare so until this becomes more of a regular issue I don't think we need to change any of our policies, so I fully agree with MarkFL and Ackbach here. I'm going to mark this thread as [SOLVED] for now.