On the clockwise rotation of the reflection coefficient with frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses the clockwise rotation of the input reflection coefficient (ρ) for a LTI causal passive system with frequency (f) when plotted in Cartesian axes. This rotation is always present and should not be confused with the derivative of the phase with frequency. While there is a proof for lossless systems, there is currently no rigorous proof for lossy systems. The signed curvature of the reflection coefficient in Cartesian coordinates is always negative, indicating a clockwise rotation, and this can be expressed through equations involving the derivative of ρ with respect to frequency. The conversation also mentions a paper discussing a modified Smith chart representation for microstrip circuits, but it does not provide a general solution to the problem.
WhiteHaired
It is well known that the evolution of the input reflection coefficient, [itex]ρ[/itex], of a LTI causal passive system with frequency, [itex]f[/itex], always presents a local clockwise rotation when plotted in cartesian axes [itex](Re(ρ), Im(ρ))[/itex], e.g. in a Smith chart, as shown in the attached figure.

It must appointed that the local clockwise rotation should not be confused with the derivative of the phase with frequency, which is always negative when the curve encompasses the center of the Smith chart, but it may be positive otherwise (e.g. in a resonant series RLC circuit with R>Z0, where Z0 is the port characteristic impedance). The question here concerns the local rotation, which is always clockwise.

For lossless systems, it may be explained from the Foster’s reactance theorem, “The imaginary immittance of a passive, lossless one-port monotonically increases with frequency”, which has been demonstrated in different ways in literature.

However I couldn’t find any rigorous proof for lossy systems. Books and manuscripts always reference the lossless case and the Foster’s theorem.

Do you know any reference?

In geometry, for a plane curve given parametrically in Cartesian coordinates as [itex](x(f),y(f))[/itex], the signed curvature, [itex]k[/itex], is

[itex]k=\frac{x'y''-y'x''}{(x^{2}+y^{2})^{3/2}}[/itex]

where primes refer to derivatives with respect to frequency [itex]f[/itex]. A negative value means that the curve is clockwise. Therefore, the reflection coefficient of a LTI causal passive system with frequency, [itex]f[/itex], has always a negative curvature when plotted in Cartesian coordinates [itex](Re(ρ), Im(ρ))[/itex], i.e., it satisfies:

[itex]\frac{∂Im(ρ)}{∂f}\frac{∂^{2}Re(ρ)}{∂f^{2}}>\frac{∂Re(ρ)}{∂f}\frac{∂^{2}Im(ρ)}{∂f^{2}}[/itex]

or, equivalently,

[itex]\frac{∂}{∂f}\left[\frac{\frac{∂Im(ρ)}{∂f}}{\frac{∂Re(ρ)}{∂f}}\right]>0[/itex]→[itex]\frac{∂}{∂f}\left(\frac{∂Im(ρ)}{∂Re(ρ)}\right)>0[/itex]

Is this right?
Is there any theorem or property of LTI causal systems from which one may conclude this?
Kramer-Kronig relations or Hilbert transform?
I would appreciate your help on this.

Attachments

• Smith.jpg
    Smith.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 518
Science news on Phys.org
Hi.
Did you find any proof? I'm also looking for that.

Thanks.

Hi Avihai.
I looked for it in many fundamental books of physics and electromagnetism, but I couldn't find any proof.
Please note that the sign of the inequalities in my last equations is changed. It should read < 0.

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Unfortunately I have no suggestions.
I tried to contact Settapong Malisuwan who published a paper concerning a frequency dependent smith chart, but only concerning a microstrip antenna, so for now it is only a private case and not a general. So it is not good enough answer to our problem.
For now, I have no response from him.
this is the paper:
http://www.ijcce.org/papers/262-OC0032.pdf

Likes 1 person
Thank you Avihai. Very interesting the paper from Dr. Malisuwan et al., but, as you said, it's not a general case. They found a useful modification of the Smith chart representation for microstrip circuits, but no general conclussions about the behaviour of the reflection coefficient in frequency when represented in polar coordinates are drawn.

Related to On the clockwise rotation of the reflection coefficient with frequency

1. What is the clockwise rotation of the reflection coefficient with frequency?

The clockwise rotation of the reflection coefficient with frequency refers to the phenomenon observed when the reflection coefficient, a measure of the amount of reflected energy from a surface, changes in a clockwise direction as the frequency of the incident wave increases.

2. Why does the reflection coefficient rotate in a clockwise direction with frequency?

This phenomenon occurs due to the complex nature of the reflection coefficient, which includes both the magnitude and phase of the reflected wave. As the frequency of the incident wave increases, the phase of the reflected wave shifts, resulting in a clockwise rotation of the reflection coefficient.

3. What factors can affect the amount of rotation in the reflection coefficient with frequency?

The amount of rotation in the reflection coefficient can be influenced by various factors such as the material properties of the reflecting surface, the angle of incidence of the wave, and the frequency range of the incident wave.

4. How is the clockwise rotation of the reflection coefficient measured and analyzed?

The rotation of the reflection coefficient can be measured and analyzed using various techniques such as vector network analyzers, which measure the magnitude and phase of the reflected wave, or through mathematical calculations using the scattering parameters of the reflecting surface.

5. What applications does the phenomenon of clockwise rotation of the reflection coefficient have?

The phenomenon of clockwise rotation of the reflection coefficient has various applications in fields such as telecommunications, radar systems, and material characterization. It can also provide valuable insights into the properties of different materials and surfaces.