On my way to Heisenberg uncert. princ.

• Thread starter 71GA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heisenberg
In summary, the conversation involved discussing the Fourier transform of a Gaussian function and deriving a result of ##\sigma_k \sigma_x = 1##. The speaker used a procedure described in two steps and made some modifications to get the desired result. They also mentioned using a centralized Gaussian and derived the Heisenberg uncertainty principle of ##\Delta x \Delta p = \frac{\hbar}{2}##. The expert provided clarification on the notation and potential errors in the speaker's calculations.
71GA
I did a Fourier transform of a gaussian function ##\scriptsize \mathcal{G}(k) = A \exp\left[-\frac{(k-k_0)^2}{2 {\sigma_k}^2}\right]## and derived a result ##\sigma_k \sigma_x = 1## which is the same they get on http://www4.ncsu.edu/~franzen/public_html/CH795Z/math/ft/gaussian.html. Here is a procedure i used described in 2 steps:

1 st) I did the Fourier transform of the Gaussian:

[itex]
\scriptsize
\begin{split}
\mathcal{F}(x) &= \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} \mathcal{G}(k) e^{ikx} \, \textrm{d} k = \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} A \exp \left[-\frac{(k-k_0)^2}{2 {\sigma_k}^2}\right] e^{ikx}\, \textrm{d} k = A \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp \left[-\frac{(k-k_0)^2}{2 {\sigma_k}^2} \right] e^{ikx}\, \textrm{d} k =\\
&= A \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp \left[-\frac{m^2}{2 {\sigma_k}^2} \right] e^{i(m+k_0)x}\, \textrm{d} m = A \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp \left[-\frac{m^2}{2 {\sigma_k}^2} \right] e^{imx} e^{ik_0x}\, \textrm{d} m =\\
&= A e^{ik_0x} \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp \left[-\frac{m^2}{2 {\sigma_k}^2} \right] e^{imx}\, \textrm{d} m = A e^{ik_0x} \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp \left[-u^2 \right] e^{iu \sqrt{2} {\sigma_k} x} \sqrt{2} {\sigma_k} \textrm{d} u = \\
&=\sqrt{2} {\sigma_k} A e^{ik_0x} \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp \left[-u^2 \right] e^{iu \sqrt{2} {\sigma_k} x}\, \mathrm{d} u = \sqrt{2} {\sigma_k} A e^{ik_0x} \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp \left[-u^2 + i u \sqrt{2} {\sigma_k} x \right]\, \mathrm{d} u =\\
&= \sqrt{2} {\sigma_k} A e^{ik_0x} \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp \left[-\left(u + \frac{i {\sigma_k} x}{\sqrt{2}} \right)^2 - \frac{i^2 {\sigma_k}^2 x^2 }{2}\right]\, \mathrm{d} u =\\
&= \sqrt{2} {\sigma_k} A e^{ik_0x} \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp \left[-\left(u + \frac{i {\sigma_k} x}{\sqrt{2}} \right)^2 + \frac{{\sigma_k}^2 x^2 }{2}\right]\, \mathrm{d} u = \\
&= \sqrt{2} {\sigma_k} A e^{ik_0x} \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-z^2} \exp \left[ \frac{{{\sigma_k}}^2 x^2 }{2} \right]\, \mathrm{d} z = \sqrt{2} {\sigma_k} A e^{ik_0x} \exp \left[ \frac{{{\sigma_k}}^2 x^2 }{2} \right] \underbrace{\int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-z^2} \, \mathrm{d} z}_{\text{Gauss integral}}=\\
&= \sqrt{2} {\sigma_k} A e^{ik_0x} \exp \left[ \frac{{{\sigma_k}}^2 x^2 }{2} \right] \sqrt{\pi}\\
\mathcal{F} (x)&= \sqrt{2\pi} {\sigma_k} A e^{ik_0x} \exp \left[ \frac{{{\sigma_k}}^2 x^2 }{2} \right]\\
\end{split}
[/itex]

2nd) I did some modifications to get the desired result:

It is said on Wikipedia that the Gauss will be normalized only if ##\scriptsize A=1 /(\sqrt{2 \pi} \sigma_k)##. I used this on ##\mathcal{F}(x)## and got a result which corresponds with a result on Wikipedia - read chapter "Fourier transform and characteristic function", so i think it must be ok but please confirm:
[itex]
\mathcal{F} (x)= e^{ik_0x} e^{\frac{{{\sigma_k}}^2 x^2 }{2}}\\
[/itex]
I used a centralized Gauss whose mean value is ##\scriptsize k_0=0## and got:
[itex]
\mathcal{F} (x)= e^{\frac{{{\sigma_k}}^2 x^2 }{2}}\\
[/itex]
Which can be rewritten as :
[itex]
\mathcal{F} (x)= e^{\frac{x^2 }{2 \left(1/\sigma_k \right)^2}}\\
[/itex]
And i can see that:
[itex]
\begin{split}
&~~1/\sigma_k = \sigma_x\\
&\boxed{\sigma_k \sigma_x = 1}
\end{split}
[/itex]

Could you please tell me what is this that i just derived and tell me how can i continue to get (derive) Heisenberg uncertainty principle ##\scriptsize \Delta x \Delta p = \frac{\hbar}{2}##? I am kind of newbie with Dirac notation so take it easy on me please.

Physics news on Phys.org
71GA said:
[itex]
\begin{split}
&~~1/\sigma_k = \sigma_x\\
&\boxed{\sigma_k \sigma_x = 1}
\end{split}
[/itex]

Could you please tell me what is this that i just derived and tell me how can i continue to get (derive) Heisenberg uncertainty principle ##\scriptsize \Delta x \Delta p = \frac{\hbar}{2}##?

What you have is simply a different notation for ##\Delta k \Delta x = 1##, although it should actually be 1/2, not 1. I haven't looked at your math in detail, but I suspect that either (a) you have misplaced a 2 somewhere, or (b) you are defining σx in terms of the probability amplitude ψ and not the probability distribution |ψ|2, or similarly for σk.k is the wavenumber, equal to ##2\pi/\lambda##. And of course ##\lambda = h/p## (de Broglie).

Last edited:

Related to On my way to Heisenberg uncert. princ.

1. What is Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This principle is a consequence of the wave-particle duality of matter, where particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

2. Who is Heisenberg and why is this principle named after him?

Werner Heisenberg was a German physicist who first proposed the uncertainty principle in 1927. He is best known for his contributions to quantum mechanics and for developing the matrix formulation of quantum mechanics. The principle is named after him because he was the first to mathematically describe the fundamental limits of measuring particles at the quantum level.

3. How does the uncertainty principle affect our understanding of the physical world?

The uncertainty principle has significant implications for our understanding of the physical world. It shows that there are inherent limits to our ability to measure and predict the behavior of particles at a quantum level. This has led to the development of new theories and ideas about the nature of reality, such as the Copenhagen interpretation and the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics.

4. Is the uncertainty principle a proven fact or just a theory?

The uncertainty principle is a well-established principle in quantum mechanics and has been experimentally confirmed through various experiments. It is considered a fundamental law of nature and is widely accepted by the scientific community. However, there are ongoing debates and discussions about its interpretation and implications.

5. How does the uncertainty principle impact everyday life?

While the uncertainty principle is primarily relevant at the microscopic level, it has several practical applications in everyday life. For example, it is the basis for the functioning of devices such as the electron microscope and the scanning tunneling microscope. It also plays a role in the development of technologies such as quantum computing and cryptography.