On Math-Atlas, where does regular Algebra fit in?

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of "regular" Algebra on Math-Atlas and whether "Algebra I and Algebra II" are introductory courses under the "Abstract Algebra" branch. The individual is creating a workbook generator for these math branches and wants to clarify whether they are referred to as "branches" or "fields." They come to the conclusion that "elementary algebra" is the appropriate term for the courses, based on research and textbook descriptions.
OMGCarlos
On Math-Atlas, where does "regular" Algebra fit in?

Where on the Math-Atlas does Algebra I and Algebra II fit? Should I assume "Algebra I and Algebra II" are essentially generalized, introductory courses that cover a subset of branches under the "Abstract Algebra" branch?

I'm starting school this Spring and wanted to build a workbook generator to catch myself up to speed. The app will ask you to select a set of math branches* and problem types. I'd therefore like to show the visitor a list of Math branches to choose from.

---
* Is a "branch" what different areas of mathematics are even called or is it "field"? I get conflicting results, even within the same articles. Knowing this is important to me, because the web app will be open-sourced and the less mistakes I have on it, the better :P

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Do you mean elementary algebra? I've always thought of it as being a very gentle introduction to abstract algebra.

Is a "branch" what different areas of mathematics are even called or is it "field"?

I imagine that different people use both of those to mean the same thing.

I think so, maybe I can just call it elementary algebra. Even textbooks just call it "Algebra", which is pretty generalized.

[edit]
I googled around for elementary algebra, and the descriptions match what my textbooks cover so that's it! Thanks.

Related to On Math-Atlas, where does regular Algebra fit in?

1. What is regular algebra?

Regular algebra, also known as elementary algebra, is the branch of mathematics that deals with basic operations and concepts of algebra, such as solving equations, working with variables, and manipulating algebraic expressions.

2. Where does regular algebra fit in on Math-Atlas?

Regular algebra is a fundamental part of Math-Atlas and is often considered as the starting point for learning more advanced topics in algebra and other branches of mathematics. It can be found in the "Basic Algebra" section of the website.

3. Is regular algebra the same as high school algebra?

Yes, regular algebra is often taught in high school and is commonly referred to as high school algebra. It covers similar topics and concepts, but may vary in depth and complexity depending on the curriculum.

4. How is regular algebra different from abstract algebra?

Regular algebra focuses on concrete and practical applications of algebra, while abstract algebra deals with more abstract and theoretical concepts, such as groups, rings, and fields. Regular algebra is typically taught at a lower level and is more accessible to beginners.

5. Can regular algebra be useful in everyday life?

Yes, regular algebra has many practical applications in daily life, such as budgeting, calculating discounts, and solving everyday problems. It also serves as a foundation for learning more advanced math and other subjects, such as physics and engineering.