On induction as you kindly requested (detailed)

• MHB
  • Thread starter sarrah1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary, the conversation is about a mathematical proof involving a recurrence and the use of mathematical induction. There are some typos and mistakes in the equations, but the main goal is to prove an inequality involving the terms $x-a$ and $b-a$. The person asking for help wants to use induction but is having trouble with the integration in the process. They also mention the use of operator K and define some norms.
sarrah1
Hi Evgeny

Thank you very much for your reply.

I will try to be more clear this time and in detail. The reason why it was not as clear, as it's lengthy. I have the following

$|{y}_{n}(x)|\le\int_{a}^{b} \,|k(x,s)| |{y}_{n-1}(s)| ds+\int_{a}^{x} \,|g(x,s)| |{y}_{n-1}(s)| ds$ , $x\in[a,b]$ $a,b$ real ... (1)

By defining operator $K$

$Ky=\int_{a}^{b} \,k(x,s) y(s) ds$

I define norms

$||K||={max}_{a<x<b}\int_{a}^{b} \,|k(x,s)|ds $ , $M={max}_{a<x<b}|g(x,s)|$ , $||y||={max}_{a<x<b}|y(x|$

From (1) $|{y}_{1}|\le||{y}_{0} ||K||+||{y}_{0}||M(x-a)$

Another iteration gives

$|{y}_{2}|\le||{y}_{0}|| {||K||}^{2}+||{y}_{0}|| ||K||M(x-a)+||{y}_{0}|| M||K|| (b-a)+||{y}_{0}||{M}^{2}\frac{{(x-a)}^{2}}{2!}$

In general for any $n$

$|{y}_{n}(x)|\le\left\{||K||\left(\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}{(||K||+M(b-a))}^{n-j-1}{M}^{j}\frac{{(x-a)}^{j}}{j!}\right)+{M}^{n}\frac{{(x-a)}^{n}}{n!}\right\}||{y}_{0}||$ ... (2)

MY PROBLEM STARTS HERE:

Instead of writing the above inequality for $n=3,4,$ etc.. I want to apply mathematical induction to prove (2). Assuming (2) is valid for $n$ I obtain using one further iteration

$|{y}_{n+1}(x)|\le\left\{||K||\left(\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}{(||K||+M(b-a))}^{n-j-1}{M}^{j}\left(||K||\frac{{(b-a)}^{j}}{j!}+M\frac{{(x-a)}^{j+1}}{j+1!}\right)\right)+{M}^{n}\left(||K||\frac{{(b-a)}^{n}}{n!}+M\frac{{(x-a)}^{n+1}}{n+1!}\right)\right\}||{y}_{0}||$ ... (3)

But since $(x-a)\le(b-a)$

$|{y}_{n+1}(x)|\le\left\{||K||\left(\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}{(||K||+M(b-a))}^{n-j}{M}^{j}\frac{{(b-a)}^{j}}{j!}\right)+{M}^{n}\left(||K||\frac{{(b-a)}^{n}}{n!}+M\frac{{(x-a)}^{n+1}}{n+1!}\right)\right\}||{y}_{0}||$ ... (4)

$\le\left\{||K||\left(\sum_{j=0}^{n}{(||K||+M(b-a))}^{n-j}{M}^{j}\frac{{{(b-a)}^{j}}}{j!}\right)+{M}^{n+1}\frac{{(x-a)}^{n+1}}{n+1!}\right\}||{y}_{0}||$ ... (5)

So whereas I need the form (2) in $x$ to carry the integration of ${(x-a)}^{j}$ , I ended up with (5) in which $(b-a)$ replaced $(x-a)$ in the first inside bracket. usually I must end in induction to exactly the same form except $n -> n+1$. Yet form (5) is really what I need except that I cannot start with $b-a$ instead because when integrated doesn't give $\frac{{(x-a)}^{n}}{n!}$ which what I need

I am really very grateful to sort out where is the problem
Sarrah

Physics news on Phys.org
You did not write how $y_{n+1}$ is obtained from $y_n$.

sarrah said:
$M=\max_{a<x<b}|g(x,s)|$
This expression depends on $s$.

sarrah said:
From (1) $|{y}_{1}|\le||{y}_{0} ||K||+||{y}_{0}||M(x-a)$
Is it correct that $|{y}_{n+1}|\le\|{y}_{n} \|K+\|{y}_{n}\|M(x-a)$ for all $n$? Do you mean $\|y_n\|$ instead of $|y_n|$? Also, how come $x$ is not used in the left-hand side of the inequality, but it is used in the right-hand side? Do you mean $|{y}_{1}(x)|\le||{y}_{0} \|K+\|{y}_{0}\|M(x-a)$ for all $x\in[a,b]$?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
You did not write how $y_{n+1}$ is obtained from $y_n$.

This expression depends on $s$.

Is it correct that $|{y}_{n+1}|\le\|{y}_{n} \|K+\|{y}_{n}\|M(x-a)$ for all $n$? Do you mean $\|y_n\|$ instead of $|y_n|$? Also, how come $x$ is not used in the left-hand side of the inequality, but it is used in the right-hand side? Do you mean $|{y}_{1}(x)|\le||{y}_{0} \|K+\|{y}_{0}\|M(x-a)$ for all $x\in[a,b]$?

Thank you very much Evgeny for your prompt reply. I did some typing mistakes

$M={max}_{a\le s,x\le b}|g(x,s)|$

I have the recurrence

${y}_{n+1}(x)=\int_{a}^{b} \,k(x,s) {y}_{n}(s)ds +\int_{a}^{x} \,g(x,s) {y}_{n}(s) ds$ (i)

True $|{y}_{n+1}(x)|\le\|{y}_{n} \|K+\|{y}_{n}\|M(x-a)$ , but I WILL NOT use it since I need to integrate again the term $(x-a)$.

It is true that
$|{y}_{1}(x)|\le||{y}_{0} \|K+\|{y}_{0}\|M(x-a)$ , for all $x\in[a,b]$ (ii)
because
$|{y}_{1}(x)|\le\int_{a}^{b} \,|k(x,s)| |{y}_{0}(x)|ds +\int_{a}^{x} \,|g(x,s)| |{y}_{0}(x)|ds$
$\le{max}_{a \le s\le b}|{y}_{0}(s)|\int_{a}^{b} \,|k(x,s)|ds +{max}_{a \le s\le x}|{y}_{0}(s)|\int_{a}^{x} \,|g(x,s)|ds$
i.e. $|{y}_{1}(x)|\le||{y}_{0}||. ||K||+||{y}_{0}|| M(x-a)$

Upon substituting for $|{y}_{1}(s)|$ inside (i) I obtain $|{y}_{2}(x)|$ etc..
many thanks
Sarrah

sarrah said:
Thank you very much Evgeny for your prompt reply. I did some typing mistakes

$M={max}_{a\le s,x\le b}|g(x,s)|$

I have the recurrence

${y}_{n+1}(x)=\int_{a}^{b} \,k(x,s) {y}_{n}(s)ds +\int_{a}^{x} \,g(x,s) {y}_{n}(s) ds$ (i)

True $|{y}_{n+1}(x)|\le\|{y}_{n} \|K+\|{y}_{n}\|M(x-a)$ , but I WILL NOT use it since I need to integrate again the term $(x-a)$.

It is true that
$|{y}_{1}(x)|\le||{y}_{0} \|K+\|{y}_{0}\|M(x-a)$ , for all $x\in[a,b]$ (ii)
because
$|{y}_{1}(x)|\le\int_{a}^{b} \,|k(x,s)| |{y}_{0}(x)|ds +\int_{a}^{x} \,|g(x,s)| |{y}_{0}(x)|ds$
$\le{max}_{a \le s\le b}|{y}_{0}(s)|\int_{a}^{b} \,|k(x,s)|ds +{max}_{a \le s\le x}|{y}_{0}(s)|\int_{a}^{x} \,|g(x,s)|ds$
i.e. $|{y}_{1}(x)|\le||{y}_{0}||. ||K||+||{y}_{0}|| M(x-a)$

Upon substituting for $|{y}_{1}(s)|$ inside (i) I obtain $|{y}_{2}(x)|$ etc..
many thanks
Sarrah

sorry I discovered a mistake, it's ${y}_{0}(s)$ and not ${y}_{0}(x)$ inside integral

$|{y}_{1}(x)|\le\int_{a}^{b} \,|k(x,s)| |{y}_{0}(s)|ds +\int_{a}^{x} \,|g(x,s)| |{y}_{0}(s)|ds$

thanks
sarrah

Related to On induction as you kindly requested (detailed)

1. What is induction?

Induction is a method of reasoning in which a conclusion is drawn based on a pattern observed in a number of specific cases.

2. How does induction differ from deduction?

Deduction starts with general principles and applies them to specific cases, while induction starts with specific cases and uses them to form a general principle or conclusion.

3. What is the process of induction?

The process of induction involves making observations of specific cases, identifying a pattern or trend, and using that pattern to make a generalization or hypothesis.

4. What are some examples of induction in science?

One example of induction in science is the observation of gravity pulling objects toward the ground, leading to the generalization that all objects are affected by gravity. Another example is the observation of bacteria causing illness, leading to the hypothesis that bacteria are responsible for many diseases.

5. What are the limitations of induction?

Induction is not always reliable as it is based on limited observations, and there is always a possibility of encountering a counterexample that invalidates the generalization. Additionally, the generalization made through induction may not always be accurate or applicable in all cases.