Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

On Compact Sets

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
In the Principles of Mathematical analysis by Rudin we have the following theorem

If \(\displaystyle \mathbb{K}_{\alpha}\) is a collection of compact subsets of a metric space \(\displaystyle X\) such that the intersection of every finite sub collection of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{K}_{\alpha}\) is nonempty , then \(\displaystyle \cap\, \mathbb{K}_{\alpha} \) is nonempty .

If I understand correctly then this theorem states that if any finite intersection is nonempty then any arbitrarily intersection is also nonempty , right ?. I was trying to understand the proof but it wasn't so clear for me :confused:.

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
In the Principles of Mathematical analysis by Rudin we have the following theorem

If \(\displaystyle \mathbb{K}_{\alpha}\) is a collection of compact subsets of a metric space \(\displaystyle X\) such that the intersection of every finite sub collection of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{K}_{\alpha}\) is nonempty , then \(\displaystyle \cap\, \mathbb{K}_{\alpha} \) is nonempty .

If I understand correctly then this theorem states that if any finite intersection is nonempty then any arbitrarily intersection is also nonempty , right ?. I was trying to understand the proof but it wasn't so clear for me :confused:.
Hello Zaid.

Can you point out where in the book is this theorem given?

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
I worked out a proof which I think is easy to understand.

We prove a more general result which is:

Let $\mathcal K=\{K_\alpha\}_{\alpha\in J}$ be a family of compact subsets of a Hausdorff space $C$ having the finite intersection property, that is, intersection of any finite subfamily of $\mathcal K$ is non-empty, then $\bigcap_{\alpha\in J} K_\alpha\neq \emptyset$.

Fix $\alpha_0\in J$ and define $C_\beta=K_{\alpha_0}\cap K_\beta$ for all $\beta\in J$. Its easy to show that each $C_\beta$ is a closed subset of $K_{\alpha_0}$ by noting that each $K_\alpha$ is a closed subset of $X$ since compact subsets of Hausdorff spaces are closed. Now clearly $\{C_\beta\}_{\beta\in J}$ has finite intersection property as subspaces of $K_{\alpha_0}$. Since $K_{\alpha_0}$ is compact and each $C_\beta$ is closed in $K_{\alpha_0}$ we know that $\bigcap_{\beta\in J}C_\beta\neq\emptyset$. This leads to the required result.

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
If \(\displaystyle \mathbb{K}_{\alpha}\) is a collection of compact subsets of a metric space \(\displaystyle X\) such that the intersection of every finite sub collection of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{K}_{\alpha}\) is nonempty , then \(\displaystyle \cap\, \mathbb{K}_{\alpha} \) is nonempty.
I don't know which are your doubts. Here is the Rudin's proof (I've added some details):

Consider an element $K_1$ of $\{K_{\alpha}\}$. Suppose $\bigcap K_{\alpha}=\emptyset$ and denote $G_{\alpha}=K_{\alpha}^c$. Then, there in no point in $K_1$ belonging to all $K_{\alpha}$, so $\{G_{\alpha}\}$ is an open cover of $K_1$ (on a metric space every compact set is closed). As $K_1$ is compact there is a finite subcover $\{G_{\alpha_1},\ldots,G_{\alpha_n}\}$ of $\{G_{\alpha}\}$ such that $K_1\subset G_{\alpha_1}\cup\ldots\cup G_{\alpha_n}$. But this implies:
$$K_{1}\cap K_{\alpha_1}\cap\ldots\cap K_{\alpha_n}=\emptyset$$
(contradiction with the hypothesis).

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
I don't know which are your doubts. Here is the Rudin's proof (I've added some details):

Consider an element $K_1$ of $\{K_{\alpha}\}$. Suppose $\bigcap K_{\alpha}=\emptyset$ and denote $G_{\alpha}=K_{\alpha}^c$. Then, there in no point in $K_1$ belonging to all $K_{\alpha}$, so $\{G_{\alpha}\}$ is an open cover of $K_1$ (on a metric space every compact set is closed). As $K_1$ is compact there is a finite subcover $\{G_{\alpha_1},\ldots,G_{\alpha_n}\}$ of $\{G_{\alpha}\}$ such that $K_1\subset G_{\alpha_1}\cup\ldots\cup G_{\alpha_n}$. But this implies:
$$K_{1}\cap K_{\alpha_1}\cap\ldots\cap K_{\alpha_n}=\emptyset$$
(contradiction with the hypothesis).
I know that the proof is easy but I might find difficulties in the notations , first what does
$G_{\alpha}=K_{\alpha}^c$ , is this the complement of each compact set ? so since compact sets are closed the complement works as an open cover ?

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
I know that the proof is easy but I might find difficulties in the notations , first what does
$G_{\alpha}=K_{\alpha}^c$ , is this the complement of each compact set ? so since compact sets are closed the complement works as an open cover ?
Right.