On capacitive touchscreen technology

• Thread starter Tibi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Technology
In summary, the person is studying electrical engineering and working on their thesis related to touchscreens, specifically the mobile smartphone type. They are trying to determine the resistance required to modify the low electric field on the screen and activate the sensors for X,Y coordinates. They are also curious about the conductivity needed for other objects to trigger a response from the sensors.
Tibi
I am currently studying electrical engineering and for my thesis i`m working with touchscreens, mainly the mobile smartphone type of touchscreens , after long long searches I have not yet come to an answer , i am trying to find out what is the resistance that modifies the low electric field that flows on the screen, and triggers the sensors that pinpoint the X,Y coordinates.
I hope i was clear and not many misspells went by me , not a native english speaker here so ... sorry in advance .

Engineering news on Phys.org
Tibi said:
I am currently studying electrical engineering and for my thesis i`m working with touchscreens, mainly the mobile smartphone type of touchscreens ,

your thread title said capacitive touchscreen, your text talks about resistive

so which do you want to know about, capacitive or resistive touchscreens ?

davenn said:
your thread title said capacitive touchscreen, your text talks about resistive

so which do you want to know about, capacitive or resistive touchscreens ?
I think I didn't make myself clear enough , capacitive screens usually work when the finger conducts the flow of current form the surface of the screen ,I'm wondering what conductivity does another object need to have to trigger a response from the sensors.

Related to On capacitive touchscreen technology

1. What is capacitive touchscreen technology?

Capacitive touchscreen technology is a method of inputting data into electronic devices by touching the screen with a conductive material, such as a finger. It works by detecting changes in the electrical field caused by the touch, and then translating that into a specific location on the screen.

2. How does a capacitive touchscreen differ from a resistive touchscreen?

A capacitive touchscreen uses the electrical properties of the human body to detect touch, while a resistive touchscreen relies on pressure and physical contact. This means that capacitive touchscreens are more responsive and accurate, but can only be used with conductive materials.

3. What are the advantages of capacitive touchscreens?

Capacitive touchscreens offer a more intuitive and responsive user experience, as they can detect multiple touches and gestures at once. They also have a longer lifespan and are more durable, as they do not have any moving parts that can wear out over time.

4. Are there any limitations to capacitive touchscreens?

One limitation of capacitive touchscreens is that they require a conductive material to register touch, which means they cannot be used with gloves or non-conductive styluses. They also tend to be more expensive to produce compared to resistive touchscreens.

5. What are some common applications of capacitive touchscreens?

Capacitive touchscreens are commonly used in smartphones, tablets, and other handheld devices. They are also used in ATMs, kiosks, and other public touchscreens, as well as in industrial and medical equipment. Additionally, they are being increasingly used in cars for infotainment systems and controls.