On calculation weighted average of two positive numbers

In summary, to calculate the weighted average of two positive numbers when no separate weights are given, you can use the formula a*(a/a+b) + b*(b/a+b) = (a^2 + b^2) /(a+b). For example, if two numbers are 9 and 11, the weighted average would be 10.1. However, in a more realistic scenario, such as calculating a student's weighted average test score, the weights would need to be taken into account, such as 35% for the midterm and 65% for the final exam.
drittel_regel

Homework Statement

Given two positive numbers calculate their weighted average(Note: This is not actually a homework question, but silly me have doubts, so I put it in this category)

Homework Equations

Two given positive numbers a,b. No separate weights are available to weigh each numbers

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I do the following by considering the weight as the number as a fraction of the sum of two numbers?

weighted average = a*(a/a+b) + b*(b/a+b) =( a^2 + b^2) /(a+b)
So, for two numbers 9 and 11, the arithmetic mean will be 10, and weighted mean will be,
9*(9/20) + 11 *(11/20) = 9*0.45 + 11 * 0.55 = 10.1

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
drittel_regel said:

Homework Statement

Given two positive numbers calculate their weighted average(Note: This is not actually a homework question, but silly me have doubts, so I put it in this category)

Homework Equations

Two given positive numbers a,b. No separate weights are available to weigh each numbers

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I do the following by considering the weight as the number as a fraction of the sum of two numbers?

weighted average = a*(a/a+b) + b*(b/a+b) =( a^2 + b^2) /(a+b)
So, for two numbers 9 and 11, the arithmetic mean will be 10, and weighted mean will be,
9*(9/20) + 11 *(11/20) = 9*0.45 + 11 * 0.55 = 10.1

Thank you

Looks OK to me, but a more realistic example would be, say test scores that have different weights. For example, suppose a class is graded on the results of a midterm (weight = 35%) and a final exam (weight = 65%). If a student received a midterm grade of 78 points and a final exam grade of 90 points, what would be the weighted average of these two scores?

Related to On calculation weighted average of two positive numbers

1. What is weighted average?

Weighted average is a type of average that takes into account the relative importance or weight of each value being averaged. It is calculated by multiplying each value by its corresponding weight, adding all the products, and then dividing by the sum of the weights.

2. How is weighted average useful in calculations?

Weighted average is useful in calculations because it provides a more accurate representation of the data by giving more weight to values that are more significant or relevant. It is commonly used in statistics, finance, and other fields where different values may have different levels of importance.

3. How do you calculate the weighted average of two positive numbers?

The weighted average of two positive numbers is calculated by multiplying each number by its corresponding weight, adding the products, and then dividing by the sum of the weights. The formula is: (x1 * w1 + x2 * w2) / (w1 + w2), where x1 and x2 are the two numbers and w1 and w2 are their corresponding weights.

4. What is the difference between weighted average and regular average?

The main difference between weighted average and regular average is that in weighted average, each value is given a weight based on its importance, while in regular average, all values are given equal weight. This means that a few significant values can have a greater impact on the weighted average compared to the regular average.

5. Can weighted average be negative?

No, weighted average cannot be negative. Since it is calculated by dividing the sum of products by the sum of weights, the result will always be a positive number. However, it is possible for one of the numbers being averaged to be negative, but the resulting weighted average will still be positive.