On being the sole observer in MWI

In summary: I agree with this argument; in fact it's one I've tried to make before (not here on PF, but in other discussions I've had over the years). Basically this amounts to asking how you derive the Born rule (which is basically what we use in practice to justify inferring particular quantum states from measurement results) in the MWI. There is quite a bit of literature on this, but I don't find any of it convincing (although many MWI proponents do).Basically this amounts to asking how you derive the Born rule (which is basically what we use in practice to justify inferring particular quantum states from measurement results) in the MWI.There is a lot of literature on this, but I
Talisman said:
Right, the point is that math cannot clarify it. The problem is that probability in the usual sense doesn't make

That's a rather long bow to pull I think.

What is probability? You ask a mathematician and they will refer you to the Kolmogorov axioms. But as with any mathematical theory what it means when applied is another matter. John Baez thinks that is at the root of many of the interpretative 'discussions:' about QM:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/bayes.html

In MW its based more on a decision theory view of probability:
https://people.kth.se/~soh/decisiontheory.pdf

Its akin to Bayesian - but a bit different. One of the issues with these kind of views is probability is a subjective belief a rational being has - that is a minefield of all sorts of issues such as - if rational beings were not around does it still exist? These are unresolved philosophical issues in the philosophy of probability.

Yet, actuaries especially, use it, and base decisions about many millions of dollars - perhaps even billions on it. It obviously works - so maybe, as physicists, and not philosophers, we simply consign such worries to those interested in such things, namely philosophers, and say - well in many areas of applied math they have no worries with it - so maybe I shouldn't.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes Derek P
Physics news on Phys.org
PeterDonis said:
You're not alone. :wink: In my experience this is one of the biggest issues people have with the MWI.
I agree with this argument; in fact it's one I've tried to make before (not here on PF, but in other discussions I've had over the years). Basically this amounts to asking how you derive the Born rule (which is basically what we use in practice to justify inferring particular quantum states from measurement results) in the MWI. There is quite a bit of literature on this, but I don't find any of it convincing (although many MWI proponents do).

So does this imply that MWI is a solipsistic interpretation? Where only one observer exists at anyone time? I always thought MWI was very sure about there being other observers...

Sorry for reviving an old thread I'm doing research for a bit of coursework! Looking at why people don't like MWI

JamieSalaor said:
does this imply that MWI is a solipsistic interpretation?

No. "Sole observer" is probably a bad choice of words for what the OP of the thread was trying to describe. It doesn't mean Experimenter 1 is not an observer in the sense you are thinking.

Likes JamieSalaor and bhobba
PeterDonis said:
No. "Sole observer" is probably a bad choice of words for what the OP of the thread was trying to describe. It doesn't mean Experimenter 1 is not an observer in the sense you are thinking.
Right I thought so was just double checking.
Thanks Peter!

Also the OP states Solipsistic Principal. I assume the author is implying a sort of I think therefore I am kind of thing? Where you must be the indivual experiencing that experience otherwise you wouldn't be
Not that Many Worlds is solipsism?

Thanks again

I find the term multi-solipsism sometimes useful when trying to understand the MWI. Once you accept that there are multiple worlds there is no reason to doubt other observers exist, even if exactly one viewpoint corresponds to one exact world. Further, even considering this multi-solipsism, the observers you interact with will be in worlds that almost complete overlap with your world; the semi-classical picture is basically the same.

akvadrako said:
I find the term multi-solipsism sometimes useful when trying to understand the MWI. Once you accept that there are multiple worlds there is no reason to doubt other observers exist, even if exactly one viewpoint corresponds to one exact world. Further, even considering this multi-solipsism, the observers you interact with will be in worlds that almost complete overlap with your world; the semi-classical picture is basically the same.
Multi-solipsism? As in the Many Minds interpretation?

JamieSalaor said:
Multi-solipsism? As in the Many Minds interpretation?

Maybe; I've never quite figured out how many-minds differs from other variants of MWI. I'm not sure where I first heard the term though I saved this from a few years ago: http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/5515/

Likes JamieSalaor
akvadrako said:
Maybe; I've never quite figured out how many-minds differs from other variants of MWI. I'm not sure where I first heard the term though I saved this from a few years ago: http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/5515/
Aaaah yes I read that paper a while ago.
Its an interesting take, Soltau does follow Many Minds, this contradicts with Deutsch and Wallace's interpretation of MWI. Wallace doesn't really think Many Minds caught on, and to be honest I agree with his reasoning . But it is definitely worth thinking about and an interesting take..