Olympic Drug Testing: Probability Analysis

In summary, an athlete is typically asked to give two samples, A and B, which are tested independently. Assuming that the results of the A and B tests truly are independent, and that both of an athlete’s samples are positive, what is the probability that he uses drugs?
rohan.pitt
Guys I am stuck with this can anyone help me??/

Suppose that 2% of all Olympic athletes use steroids or other performance-enhancing drugs. Because drug
use is a serious violation of Olympic rules, the International Olympic Committee has implemented random
drug tests. Let us assume that the test will report positive with probability 0.95 if the athlete uses drugs,
and with probability 0.2 if the athlete does not use drugs.
a) A randomly selected athlete has a positive drug test. What is the probability that he uses drugs?
b) A randomly selected athlete has a negative drug test. What is the probability that she uses drugs?
c) In fact, an athlete is typically asked to give two samples, A and B, which are tested independently.
Assuming that the results of the A and B tests truly are independent, and that both of an athlete’s samples
are positive, what is the probability that he uses drugs?
d) Given that an athlete’s A test is positive, what is the probability that her B test will also be posi-
tive?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
To get the most out of these forums, please show us your best previous attempt. This helps us target our response to your individual need.

ok I am seriously not able to do much here but going to give what all I could do

P(S)= prob of using steroids = 0.2
P(T|S) = Prob of testing positive given the athlete takes steroids
P(T|~S) = Prob of testing positive given the athlete doen not takes steroids

1) we need to find (T and S) = p(T|S)/p(S) = 0.019

2) we need to find (~T and S) = p(~T|S)/p(S) =??

3) ??
4) ??

Please help me understand this

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
To get the most out of these forums, please show us your best previous attempt. This helps us target our response to your individual need.

Hey above is my solution not able to get it hence please help

Last edited:
rohan.pitt said:
ok I am seriously not able to do much here but going to give what all I could do

1) we need to find (T and S) = p(T|S)/p(S) = 0.019

2) we need to find (~T and S) = p(~T|S)/p(S) =??

3) ??
4) ??

Please help me understand this

Hey rohan.pitt and welcome to the forums.

Hint: What does P(T and S) + P(~T and S) equal to? (Think about what (T and S) OR (~T and S) in terms of sets and Venn diagrams)

rohan.pitt said:
Hey above is my solution not able to get it hence please help
Sorry I could not respond right away - I have stuff to do like sleep, go to work, answer other peoples questions and so on ;) I'd had to wait 14 hours before you got back to me as it is ... looking at the time-stamp I was having breakfast with a beautiful woman about then - I'm sure you understand.

Last edited:
rohan.pitt said:

well P(S) is incorrect and you left off some values that you have been given:
according to the description in post #1
##P(S)=0.02##
##P(T|S)=0.95##
##P(T|\neg S) = 0.2##

The majority of this question is about how you turn the written description into the mathematical symbols ... so "the probability that a positive test means the athlete takes steroids" is written P(S|T) ... so how would you write "the probability that a negative test means the athlete is clean"?

After that it is a matter of just writing down Beyes' Theorem and putting the numbers in.

You can probably do all these without directly using Beyes' theorem by assuming you are testing some arbitrary number of athletes.
Say you have 1000 athletes to test:
1. how many do drugs?
2. how many of them will test positive?
3. how many don't do drugs?
4. how many of them test positive?
5. how many positive tests overall?
6. probability that a positive test means the athlete does drugs?
... rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

Related to Olympic Drug Testing: Probability Analysis

What is Olympic Drug Testing?

Olympic Drug Testing is a process used to detect and deter the use of performance-enhancing drugs by athletes participating in the Olympic Games. It is a crucial aspect of maintaining fair and ethical competition in sports.

Why is Probability Analysis used in Olympic Drug Testing?

Probability Analysis is used in Olympic Drug Testing to evaluate the likelihood of an athlete's drug test results being due to chance or the use of performance-enhancing drugs. This helps to ensure accurate and fair results.

What factors influence the accuracy of Olympic Drug Testing?

There are several factors that can influence the accuracy of Olympic Drug Testing, including the sensitivity and specificity of the testing methods, the timing of the tests, and the level of expertise and training of those administering the tests.

What are the consequences of failing an Olympic Drug Test?

Failing an Olympic Drug Test can result in serious consequences for an athlete, including disqualification from the competition, loss of medals and titles, and potential bans from future competitions. It can also damage an athlete's reputation and career.

How is the integrity of Olympic Drug Testing ensured?

The integrity of Olympic Drug Testing is ensured through strict protocols and procedures, including sample collection and handling, chain of custody, and blind testing. Additionally, independent organizations and agencies oversee and monitor the testing process to prevent any potential bias or corruption.