Old exam question about potential and thermodynamics

In summary: This is a pretty calculus-heavy solution, but in the end you get the number density of electrons at different radial distances.
PatF

Homework Statement

This is a question from an old exam. The answer I have is marked wrong but I do not know why.

A conducting sphere of radius a is at potential V and sits at the center of a conducting spherical shell so large that it can be considered infinite and whose potential is zero. The whole system sits at a high temperature T, so that electrons emitted from the conductors form a dilute gas. Assume the density of these electrons is very low so that their mutal interaction can be neglected.
(a) Calculate the potential energy for an electron of charge -|e| as a function of radius r from the center of the system.

(b) In thermal equilibrium, the electrons form a gas of variable density Using the results from part (a) find the dependence of the charge density on the radial distance r.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) The answer I have is (1/4πε0)(V/a-V/r) Is this correct?

(b) I have no idea what the questioner is asking for.

Physics news on Phys.org
I did not read the scanned problem; I only read your typed version.

For part (a) you forgot to multiply by the charge of the electron; what you have there is the potential (sans energy). There is also the ambiguity of the reference point. It looks like you chose the surface of the inner sphere to be at zero potential energy, which is generally acceptable (unless your instructor specified otherwise).

For part (b), based on the clues I would use e-βE, where E is the electrostatic potential energy (that you get from part (a)).

Consider this a possible plan of attack. This is not a trivial problem!

The key to part (a) is the statement to ignore mutual repulsion among the electrons. So your answer, along with the electron charge qe per what turin told you, is correct.

For (b) I would

1. use the Fermi-Dirac distribution for energies of a Fermi gas: dN(E) = f(E)dE where dN(E) is the no. of electrons with energy between E and E+dE. f(E) is of course the famous Fermi-Dirac distribution.

2. Then equate E to potential energy: p.e. = E = qe{V(a) - V(r)} = qeV(1 - a/r). Let F(r) = f(E) with E = qeV( 1- a/r) so that now
dN(r) = F(r)dr = no. of electrons sitting between r and r + dr. You now have the relative distributon of charge ranging from r = a to r = ∞.

To get the absolute distribution, realize that ∫F(r)dr from r=a to r=infinity must equal the total emitted no. of electrons per unit time. To get this number I refer you to the various formulas for thermionic emission at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermionic_emission.

3. You can then use the Poisson equation to directly solve for ρ(r):

del2V(r) = -ρ(r)/ε = ∂2V(r)/∂r2 + (2/r)∂V(r)/∂r.

Note that you're not solving a differential equation, you're just take the derivatives from #2 above to get ρ.

Related to Old exam question about potential and thermodynamics

1. What is potential energy and how does it relate to thermodynamics?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. In thermodynamics, potential energy is often associated with the stored energy of a system, such as the energy stored in chemical bonds or the energy stored in a compressed spring.

2. How is potential energy different from kinetic energy?

Potential energy is different from kinetic energy in that it is energy that is stored, while kinetic energy is energy that is actively being used to perform work. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa, but they are two distinct forms of energy.

3. What are the different types of potential energy in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, there are several types of potential energy, including chemical potential energy, gravitational potential energy, and elastic potential energy. Chemical potential energy is the energy stored in chemical bonds, gravitational potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field, and elastic potential energy is the energy stored in a stretched or compressed object.

4. How does potential energy play a role in thermodynamics processes?

Potential energy plays a crucial role in thermodynamics processes as it is often converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, during these processes. For example, in a chemical reaction, potential energy stored in chemical bonds is released and converted into kinetic energy, heat, and work.

5. How does the concept of potential energy help us understand thermodynamic systems?

The concept of potential energy helps us understand thermodynamic systems by allowing us to track and predict the energy changes that occur within the system. By understanding the different types of potential energy and how they can be converted into other forms of energy, we can better understand the behavior and properties of thermodynamic systems.