Okay, so is Mach's principle true, or not?

• B
  • Thread starter Paige_Turner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary: It is a long debate among philophers whether General Relativity is a Machian theory. At least I don't see, in which sense any of the usual spacetime models (i.e., Newtonian, Minkowski=special relativistic, and the most comprehensive of all, which is the general-relativistic spacetime model) are somehow realizing Mach's idea that the inertia of matter is due to the presence of all the other far-distant matter.
Paige_Turner
TL;DR Summary
It seems crazy to me
You don't need another object in the universe in order to rotate and feel centrifugal force.

You establish an inertial frame just by sitting there and existing. When you rotate, you rotate relative to that frame, even though the only mass in it is rotating.

Or am I, like, WAY off?

If so, then what problem does it solve? If we suddenly don't believe it, what can we suddenly not explain?

• Wow
Likes vanhees71, Dale and Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Paige_Turner said:
Summary:: It seems crazy to me

Or am I, like, WAY off?
Absolutely yes!

Paige_Turner said:
You don't need another object in the universe in order to rotate and feel centrifugal force.
That's not a testable statement. You can't empty the universe of everything except a test particle and start it rotating to see what happens. And assuming physical law derived from observations in a universe full of matter apply to a universe empty of matter is assuming your answer.

The point about Mach's Principle is that Mach wondered why it was that you cannot measure position or speed without reference to some external object, but you can measure proper acceleration in a closed box. He argued that this fact needed some physical explanation, and Mach's Principle, IMO, boils down to "there ought to be a reason for that". In particular when we talk about rotation it's fairly common to talk about "rotating with respect to the fixed stars", and it's difficult to imagine anything I do affecting the stars, so they make sense as a reference. On the other hand, proposing that all that matter has some effect (edit: to clarify before we're swarmed by astrologers, I mean some simple physical effect) on me isn't totally crazy.

I think the problem with the whole topic is that it's quite hard to nail down a precise testable version of Mach's Principle, and harder still to get other physicists and philosophers to agree that it us the testable version. People still argue about it, and I suppose something may come of it one day. But I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting.

Last edited:
Likes Klystron, martinbn and PeroK
Ibix said:
I think the problem with the whole topic is that it's quite hard to nail down a precise testable version of Mach's Principle, and harder still to get other physicists and philosophers to agree that it us the testable version.
I agree with that assessment. Also, in the rare cases where a researcher claims to have made a testable Machian theory (e.g. Brans Dicke gravity) experimental measurements seem to indicate that the universe does not follow Mach’s principle (as formulated by Brans and Dicke)

Likes vanhees71
Delta2 said:
Absolutely yes!
I don’t think it is way off. As @Ibix says it is hard to pin down testable statements of Mach’s principle. So doubting it is perfectly reasonable.

Likes vanhees71
Ibix said:
Mach wondered why it was that you cannot measure position or speed without reference to some external object, but you can measure proper acceleration in a closed box. He argued that this fact needed some physical explanation, and Mach's Principle, IMO, boils down to "there ought to be a reason for that".
When posed as a "why" question it seems pretty clear what the issue is.

Dale said:
in the rare cases where a researcher claims to have made a testable Machian theory (e.g. Brans Dicke gravity) experimental measurements seem to indicate that the universe does not follow Mach’s principle (as formulated by Brans and Dicke)
Thanks, this looks interesting.

EDIT: and it gets deep quickly. The Brans Dicke Gravity wiki page was beyond me. I never studied GR.

Last edited:
Likes Dale
I also do not think that the statements in #1 are way off. Of course, you need to define a frame of reference and check by observation, whether it is an inertial frame or not. This has nothing to do with far-distant masses in the universe but with local equipment establishing the reference frame.

Then the question, I could never answer satisfactorily for myself, indeed is, what is the precise statement of Mach's principle, i.e., how can it be tested by observation. It's vague statement seems to be that somehow the inertia of some matter "here" is due to all the far-distant matter "out there". I know it's a long debate among philophers whether General Relativity is a Machian theory. At least I don't see, in which sense any of the usual spacetime models (i.e., Newtonian, Minkowski=special relativistic, and the most comprehensive of all, which is the general-relativistic spacetime model) are somehow realizing Mach's idea that the inertia of matter is due to the presence of all the other far-distant matter.

Likes Dale

Related to Okay, so is Mach's principle true, or not?

1. What is Mach's principle?

Mach's principle is a concept in physics proposed by Austrian physicist Ernst Mach. It states that the inertia of an object is determined by the distribution of matter in the universe. In other words, the motion of an object is influenced by the presence and distribution of all other matter in the universe.

2. Is Mach's principle true?

There is currently no consensus among scientists on whether Mach's principle is true or not. Some physicists argue that it is a fundamental principle of physics, while others believe it is not a necessary or relevant concept.

3. How does Mach's principle relate to general relativity?

Mach's principle was first proposed as a way to explain the origin of inertia, which was not addressed in Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity. However, some physicists have attempted to incorporate Mach's principle into general relativity, but there is still no consensus on whether this is a valid approach.

4. What evidence supports or refutes Mach's principle?

There is currently no direct evidence that definitively supports or refutes Mach's principle. Some physicists argue that it is supported by observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, while others argue that it is not supported by other observational data.

5. How does Mach's principle impact our understanding of the universe?

If Mach's principle is proven to be true, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It would suggest that the universe is a deeply interconnected and dynamic system, where the motion of all objects is influenced by the presence and distribution of all other matter.