Ok, so this is what happened. I was sitting outside and I opened up a

• Thread starter simbiote3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Outside
In summary: If you reseal it and drink it again, does it happen again?In summary, this person was sitting outside and opened up a diet coke and it started fizzing. Out of no where it got to the point where there was no carbination in the soda anymore. They would like to know what might have caused this and if it happened again.
simbiote3
Ok, so this is what happened. I was sitting outside and I opened up a diet coke. It was fine for several minutes and then out of no where it just started fizzing up. It was almost like dropping a mentos into it but not so violently. It eventually got to the point where there was no more carbination in the soda at all. What I would like to know is how this can happen. As far as I know nothing fell into the drink and it was completely fine before it started fizzing.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

I must admit that is a little odd... did you set the glass down hard? Do you have an ultrasonic hand? (kidding of course, but if you put a carbonated beverage in an ultrasonic cleaner, it will cause the CO2 to be released at a very rapid rate). I'm kind of stumped and am interested to see if anyone has a good explanation. I thought where you were going with this was related to freezing. I have had drinks (beer specifically) that is liquid when you open it, and then it slowly begins freezing and you can watch the "freeze line" progress down through the bottle, until you're left with a bottle of beer slush... I think the reason behind this is b/c the pressure was high when it was still closed, which lowered the freezing point, but when i opened it, the pressure dropped and was at a temperature that, at ambient pressure, caused it to freeze.

If a wasp drowns itself in the soda this can happen...

What I would like to know is, what is it that can actually cause this? What is the chemical reactions and stuff of that sort.

I still think a simple explanation like a wasp or something is the most likely.
Have you tried to repeat it?

Related to Ok, so this is what happened. I was sitting outside and I opened up a

1. What could have caused the sudden change in the environment after opening up a container outside?

There are several possible explanations for this phenomenon. One possibility is that the container contained a substance that reacted with the air or other elements in the environment, causing a change. Another possibility is that the container was previously sealed and the opening of it allowed outside air or other elements to enter, resulting in a change.

2. Is it possible that the container was contaminated with a dangerous substance?

It is possible that the container could have been contaminated with a dangerous substance. It is important to exercise caution and follow safety protocols when handling unknown substances. If there are concerns about potential contamination, it is recommended to seek the assistance of a professional or take the necessary precautions for safe handling and disposal.

3. Could this change in the environment be harmful to my health?

The potential harm to your health depends on the nature of the change in the environment and the substances involved. If there are any concerns about potential health hazards, it is best to seek the guidance of a medical professional.

4. How can I prevent this sudden change in the future?

To prevent a sudden change in the environment after opening a container, it is important to properly label and store containers, especially if they contain potentially hazardous substances. It is also important to follow safety protocols and handle unknown substances with caution.

5. Is this phenomenon common in scientific experiments?

It is not uncommon for unexpected changes to occur during scientific experiments. This is why proper safety protocols and precautions are always recommended. If you are conducting experiments, it is important to carefully document all steps and observations to better understand any unexpected results.