Oil temperature as a function of water temperature

In summary, the individual has submerged a sphere of silicone oil in a bath of ice and water, but despite both temperature probes being calibrated, the silicone oil temperature remains around 0.15 degrees Celsius while the bath temperature remains just below zero degrees. The individual is seeking ideas on why this may be happening, including possible heat leaks through the mechanisms holding the sphere down or the thermocouple wire. The system also sits in an environmental chamber set to -1 degrees Celsius. The individual questions whether the thin thermocouple cable could be responsible for the temperature difference and notes that the specific heat capacity of silicone oil is lower than that of water.
jonlg_uk
Hi imagine I have a sphere of silicone oil in a sealed metal container. I then fully submerge the container in a bath of ice and water. This is what I have done.

The bath temperature remains at just below zero degrees. However the silicone oil temperature remains around 0.15degrees C. Despite both temperature probes being calibrated.

Any ideas gang?

I thank you in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
jonlg_uk said:
Hi imagine I have a sphere of silicone oil in a sealed metal container. I then fully submerge the container in a bath of ice and water. This is what I have done.

The bath temperature remains at just below zero degrees. However the silicone oil temperature remains around 0.15degrees C. Despite both temperature probes being calibrated.

Any ideas gang?

I thank you in advance.

I assume the silicone oil is less dense than the water. What is mechanically holding the sphere down, and can there be a heat leak through whatever is holding the sphere down? Can there be a heat leak through the thermocouple wire? Is 0.15 degrees that significant?

Chestermiller said:
I assume the silicone oil is less dense than the water. What is mechanically holding the sphere down, and can there be a heat leak through whatever is holding the sphere down? Can there be a heat leak through the thermocouple wire? Is 0.15 degrees that significant?

This is what I thought the problem might be. The sphere is held in place by in all directions by metal pegs that are welded onto the inside wall of the outer container (the container that holds the ice and water solution). However the whole system sits in an environmental chamber that is set to -1 degrees C (this has been calibrated aswell).

Could thin thermocouple cable really be responsible for heating the silicone oil temp up by this much?? The cable does run out of the chamber and into to the "outside world", where the room temperature is held around 21 degrees C.

I am not sure...the specific heat capacity of silicone oil is less than water, I don't understand why it's temperature is not the same as the ice and water?

Related to Oil temperature as a function of water temperature

What is the relationship between oil temperature and water temperature?

The relationship between oil temperature and water temperature is that oil temperature is affected by changes in water temperature. When the water temperature is higher, the oil temperature will also increase. However, the rate of change may vary depending on factors such as the type of oil and the temperature difference between the two substances.

Why is it important to monitor oil temperature as a function of water temperature?

It is important to monitor oil temperature as a function of water temperature because it can impact the performance and longevity of machinery and equipment. Oil that is too hot can lead to breakdown and failure of parts, while oil that is too cold can cause viscosity issues and hinder lubrication. By monitoring the oil temperature as a function of water temperature, any potential issues can be identified and addressed before they cause significant damage.

What factors can affect the relationship between oil temperature and water temperature?

The relationship between oil temperature and water temperature can be affected by several factors, such as the type and quality of oil being used, the design and efficiency of the cooling system, and the ambient temperature. Additionally, the rate at which heat is transferred between the oil and water can be influenced by the flow rate and turbulence of the water, as well as any insulative materials present.

How can the relationship between oil temperature and water temperature be optimized?

To optimize the relationship between oil temperature and water temperature, it is important to use high-quality oil that is suitable for the specific application. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the cooling system can also help to ensure efficient heat transfer. Adjusting the flow rate and turbulence of the water can also improve the rate of heat transfer and optimize the relationship between the two temperatures.

What are some potential consequences of not monitoring the relationship between oil temperature and water temperature?

If the relationship between oil temperature and water temperature is not monitored, it can lead to a variety of consequences. These may include decreased lubrication and increased wear and tear on machinery, decreased efficiency and performance, and potential breakdown and failure of equipment. It can also result in increased energy usage and costs due to inefficient heat transfer. Regular monitoring and maintenance can help to prevent these consequences and ensure optimal performance and longevity of equipment.