Ohmic heating to heat hockey stick blade glue

In summary: Suggest you research some more on the types of heaters that are available. There are a few types of heaters that would work well at those temperatures.
coolbackyard
I am an ME, looking for resources or advice to assist my team in designing an ohmic heat source. The device will transport hot air with a small fan. We will be utilizing a 120VDC power source. This heater must produce temperatures in the range of 500-1000F. We are anticipating using a wire geometry similar to the resistance wire in a blow dryer or heat gun. Are there any standards for wire gauge/cross section, or suggested wire materials to achieve maximum heat transfer?
Any advice and/or external resources would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
coolbackyard said:
I am an ME, looking for resources or advice to assist my team in designing an ohmic heat source. The device will transport hot air with a small fan. We will be utilizing a 120VDC power source. This heater must produce temperatures in the range of 500-1000F. We are anticipating using a wire geometry similar to the resistance wire in a blow dryer or heat gun. Are there any standards for wire gauge/cross section, or suggested wire materials to achieve maximum heat transfer?
Any advice and/or external resources would be appreciated.

Welcome to the PF.

Nichrome wire is commonly used in heater elements:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichrome_wire

Is the reason that you can't use a standard heater because of the unusual geometry of the blade and stick?

A hot air gun (or several) blown into an appropriately shaped tube / enclosure with thermal insulation? Top and bottom halves of the enclosure could be clipped together or hinged.

You really don't want to get involved with home made mains heating elements. It's not a trivial job. For those temperatures you would need good refractory supports for the heating elements and good electrical safety. Use an off the shelf heat source and concentrate on getting your enclosure the right size and shape and with the right insulation.

Excuse me, I meant 120VAC source. We will not be building a prototype, this is just for the design phase.

For design or development I should have thought you'n need to establish the power needed. Much easier with off the shelf heaters. I would think.

Related to Ohmic heating to heat hockey stick blade glue

What is Ohmic heating and how does it work?

Ohmic heating is a method of heating that uses an electric current to generate heat in a material. This is achieved by passing an electric current through a material with high resistance, causing the resistance to convert the electrical energy into heat energy.

How is Ohmic heating used to heat hockey stick blade glue?

In the case of heating hockey stick blade glue, an electric current is passed through the glue, which has high resistance, causing it to heat up and become liquid. This allows for the glue to be easily applied to the blade of the hockey stick.

What are the advantages of using Ohmic heating to heat hockey stick blade glue?

One of the main advantages of using Ohmic heating is that it is a quick and efficient method of heating. It also allows for precise control of the temperature, which is important when working with adhesives. Additionally, Ohmic heating does not require a separate heating element, making it a more compact and cost-effective option.

Are there any potential drawbacks of using Ohmic heating for this purpose?

One potential drawback of using Ohmic heating is that it can only be used on materials with high resistance, so it may not be suitable for all types of glue. There is also a risk of overheating and damaging the glue or the hockey stick if the temperature is not properly monitored.

Are there any safety considerations when using Ohmic heating for heating hockey stick blade glue?

As with any type of electrical heating, there are safety considerations that need to be taken into account when using Ohmic heating. Proper insulation and grounding of the equipment is essential to prevent electric shock. It is also important to follow proper safety protocols and use protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when working with hot glue.