Oh, I'm finally getting the crackpot thing

• Thread starter Isaac0427
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crackpot
In summary, the physics account has inaccurate information about the Higgs boson and some of the posts are speculation. The user has a degree in physics, but it seems that they do not understand the importance of factual information.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
I admit that I have made the crackpot mistake (well, I was in middle school, in my defense). I've never quite understood why you guys get so annoyed. Now I do.

I was scrolling across Instagram and I found this physics account, and I thought "oh, yay, physics!" Well, you can see for yourself: http://instagram.com/physicsoftheuniverse

I then politely told him that his information about the Higgs boson (and it turns out a lot of what he posts) was incorrect. The Higgs field does not interact with hadrons and quarks (a misconception I have fallen for, I admit). I was then given a speech about how there are no definite right or wrong answers in theoretical physics, and how the account posts all views/opinions (there's a nice theory about the Higgs boson somewhere in there). I then (politely) said that physics does have facts, and rarely opinions (or at least the "opinions" are backed up by experimental and/or mathematical evidence). I also directed him here to learn more but I don't think he's planning on doing that based on his response.

What confuses me, though is that he says he has a degree in physics. But it doesn't seem to me that someone with a physics degree would say what he said. Tell me if you think I'm wrong, but it seems a little odd to me.

So, long story short, I understand your issues about crackpots (although if they're willing to learn I still don't see the big deal).

I also thought you guys would enjoy looking at the material on that account.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like he's channelling physics posters from other folks. Some are pretty good and some are speculative. You'd have to research each one to know what's what.

Likes Isaac0427
jedishrfu said:
It looks like he's channelling physics posters from other folks. Some are pretty good and some are speculative. You'd have to research each one to know what's what.
Yep. I don't say it was all bad, or even most. But there is some untrue information there, and he posts them as "opinions".

There were actually a few I really liked on there.

Isaac0427 said:
So, long story short, I understand your issues about crackpots (although if they're willing to learn I still don't see the big deal).
If they're "willing to learn", they're not crackpots -- just temporarily in error.

I also thought you guys would enjoy looking at the material on that account.
If there's too much misinformation in there, I suspect your link might get deleted soon.

Btw, you might enjoy John Baez's crackpot index if you haven't already seen it. (It's a guide for ranking various levels of crackpottery.)

I especially like John's last entry:
[URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/author/john-baez/' said:
John Baez[/URL]]50 points for claiming you have a revolutionary theory but giving no concrete testable predictions.
This seems applicable to much of string theory, SUSY, Multiverse, etc. :confused:

Likes davenn

What does "Oh, I'm finally getting the crackpot thing" mean?

"Oh, I'm finally getting the crackpot thing" is a common phrase used to express a sudden understanding or realization of something that was previously confusing or difficult to comprehend. It is often used humorously or sarcastically.

Where does the phrase "crackpot" come from?

The word "crackpot" originated in the 18th century and referred to a type of pottery that was easily broken or cracked. Over time, it came to be used as a slang term for someone who is eccentric or has strange ideas.

Why do people use the term "crackpot" in a scientific context?

In a scientific context, the term "crackpot" is often used to describe someone who proposes ideas or theories that are considered far-fetched or lacking in scientific evidence. It is a way to dismiss or discredit these ideas.

Is it offensive to be called a "crackpot" in the scientific community?

While being called a "crackpot" may be seen as offensive, it is important to remember that it is often used in a lighthearted or joking manner. However, it is not a productive or respectful way to engage in scientific discourse and should be avoided.

How can someone avoid being labeled a "crackpot" in the scientific community?

To avoid being labeled a "crackpot" in the scientific community, it is important to back up your ideas and theories with solid evidence and research. Additionally, engaging in open and respectful discussions with others in the field can help to prevent misunderstandings or misconceptions about your ideas.