Official acceleration due to gravity in Brighton, UK?

In summary, the conversation is about a forum user seeking help in finding the official figures for the acceleration due to gravity in Brighton, UK for a lab report. They have already calculated an approximate value using an equation and are looking for a way to compare it with the official figures. Suggestions are given to check with a higher education institution or a science center, as well as using an equation that approximates gravity based on altitude. The conversation also touches on the influence of latitude and local geology on the value of gravity.
cording12
Hey guys,

I'm newly registered on the forums but have been reading for ages and all the stuff is hugely useful but alas I am finally stuck and can't find any answers to my question!

Now for a lab report I have calculated the acceleration due to gravity using the equation:

g=(2π/m)^2

This is something I did specifically for a report using the slope of a chart I created with some figures from a basic pendulum.

Now for the top marks I need to be able to compare my answer with the official figures for the acceleration due to gravity in Brighton, UK. My lecturer said there is definitely one and other people in my class found it but I never got the chance to speak to them and this is due in tomorrow!

Any help or suggestions on how to find it would be massively appreciated!

Thanks,

Jon

Physics news on Phys.org
The official figures would most likely be held by an institution of higher education in the UK, or a science centre or something similar to that. I don't know where for sure you could find it.

This link has an equation that approximates gravity as a function of altitude above sea level, so if you are able to find your altitude (maybe google Earth or something like that), then this might be a plan B solution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_of_Earth#Altitude

Oh brilliant that formula could be exactly what I'm looking for! I've spent hours google'ing and bing'ing it and so far came up with nothing even close to an official figure.

Would you by any chance know where that formula originally came from? I have to reference all formula's and Wikipedia isn't recognised at a citation ><

Thanks a million!

For Brighton, it's not so much the altitude (Brighton is mostly close to sea level) as the latitude which will have more influence on the local value of g.

This link has the Int. Gravity Formula:
http://geophysics.ou.edu/solid_earth/notes/potential/igf.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
SteamKing said:
For Brighton, it's not so much the altitude (Brighton is mostly close to sea level) as the latitude which will have more influence on the local value of g.

and even more so what the local geology is in that region ie. rock type
example an area of continental rock is going to have a lower local value of g
than what an area of volcanics would. that is volcanic rock is denser and produces a positive anomaly

cheers
Dave

cording12 said:
Oh brilliant that formula could be exactly what I'm looking for! I've spent hours google'ing and bing'ing it and so far came up with nothing even close to an official figure.

Would you by any chance know where that formula originally came from? I have to reference all formula's and Wikipedia isn't recognised at a citation ><

Thanks a million!

No clue where it came from. sorry

Related to Official acceleration due to gravity in Brighton, UK?

1. What is the official acceleration due to gravity in Brighton, UK?

The official acceleration due to gravity in Brighton, UK is 9.81 m/s².

2. How is the official acceleration due to gravity in Brighton, UK measured?

The official acceleration due to gravity in Brighton, UK is measured using a device called a gravimeter, which measures the gravitational pull of the Earth on a mass.

3. Does the official acceleration due to gravity in Brighton, UK vary from other locations?

Yes, the acceleration due to gravity can vary slightly from location to location due to differences in altitude and the density of the Earth's crust.

4. How does the official acceleration due to gravity in Brighton, UK affect objects?

The acceleration due to gravity affects objects by pulling them towards the center of the Earth. This is what causes objects to fall towards the ground and gives them weight.

5. Can the official acceleration due to gravity in Brighton, UK change over time?

No, the official acceleration due to gravity in Brighton, UK is a constant value that does not change over time unless there are significant changes in the Earth's mass or distance from the Sun.