# of atoms when combining elements

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the combination of nitrogen and hydrogen to form ammonia. The solution involves using the number of liters as multipliers in a chemical equation to determine the number of atoms of each element in one molecule of ammonia. The final answer is x = 1 nitrogen atoms and y = 3 hydrogen atoms.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

One liter of nitrogen combines with 3 L of hydrogen
to form 2 L of ammonia. If the molecules of nitrogen
and hydrogen have two atoms each, how many atoms of
hydrogen and nitrogen are in one molecule of ammonia?

Homework Equations

Chemical equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't know where to start so I looked at the solution key and got this:

The number of liters tells us how many molecules of the original combine to form this number of molecules of the product. Using these numbers as multipliers in a chemical equation gives us

1N2 + 3H2 → 1Nx Hy

Making sure that we have the same number of atoms of each kind on each side, we get x = 1 and y = 3.

Can somebody explain to me what the hell just happened?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try asking in the "Other Science" homework forum. While most of us here are capable of helping, this is a chemistry, not physics question.

As for what happened:
What is the relation between number of molecules and volume, given constant pressure and temperature?

You have two liters of ammonia, not one. So something is wrong with the right-hand side of the reaction as you've written it. Fix that and it will make sense.

Sorry, this question came from my physics HW so I posted it here.
Maybe a moderator can move it.

Even when I change it to 2L it makes no sense to me. I haven't taken chemistry since high school.

There are the same number of nitrogen molecules in 1L of nitrogen as there are hydrogen molecules in 1L of hydrogen and ammonia molecules in 1L of ammonia.
A nitrogen molecule is composed of two nitrogen atoms and a hydrogen molecule is composed of two hydrogen atoms. An ammonia molecule is composed of (for you) an unknown number of nitrogen and hydrogen atoms. That's where x and y came from.
You know that 1 part nitrogen molecule and 3 parts hydrogen molecule becomes 2 parts ammonia molecule. So [itex]1\times 2[/itex] parts nitrogen atoms becomes [itex]2\times x[/itex] nitrogen atoms and [itex]3\times 2[/itex] parts hydrogen atoms becomes [itex]2\times y[/itex] hydrogen atoms.

Aaaah I see! Much appreciated Sir!

Related to # of atoms when combining elements

1. How many atoms are present when combining elements?

The number of atoms present when combining elements depends on the specific elements being combined and their chemical formula. For example, combining one atom of hydrogen (H) with one atom of oxygen (O) to form water (H2O) results in a total of three atoms.

2. Does the number of atoms change when elements are combined?

Yes, the number of atoms changes when elements are combined. This is because chemical reactions involve the rearrangement of atoms to form new substances.

3. How can I calculate the number of atoms when combining elements?

To calculate the number of atoms when combining elements, you will need to know the chemical formula of the compound being formed. Then, you can use the Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23) to convert the number of moles of the compound into the number of atoms.

4. Is the number of atoms always the same when elements are combined?

No, the number of atoms is not always the same when elements are combined. It depends on the chemical formula of the compound being formed. Some compounds, like water (H2O), have a fixed number of atoms, while others may vary depending on the amount of each element present.

5. Can the number of atoms be manipulated when combining elements?

Yes, the number of atoms can be manipulated when combining elements. This can be achieved by changing the chemical formula or the amount of each element used in the reaction. However, the total number of atoms will always remain constant, as per the Law of Conservation of Mass.