Odd phenomena with an induction cooktop

In summary: This is generally not a safety hazard but it can be annoying. The induction cooking process works by creating a powerful magnetic field in the pan. This field causes the electric current to flow. If you are close to the stove, you will be exposed to the electric fields created by the current. If you are not close to the stove, the electric fields will be weaker and you will not be exposed to them.There is no way to measure the current (if any) flowing in the handle of the pot. However, you can measure the electric fields when the stove is both off and on. You can also experiment with different pots and pans to see if you can find one that has an acoustic resonance near the frequency of the
socalgranny
I have a new induction cooktop. I bought a pan rated for induction cooking for the stove and placed it over a burner while the stove was turned off. These pans tend to be rather heavy and the capacity of this pan was 3 qts. It had two handles, one was long and straight and the other was curved. Here is a link to a picture of the pan. You will need to select "3 qt" to see the pot. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/ws-thermo-clad-stainless-steel-saucepan/?pkey=ccookware-williams-sonoma&cm_src=cookware-williams-sonoma||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

When I touched the curved handle, called the loop handle, I felt when seemed to be a vibration or an electric current. I did this several time with both hands and later my hands seemed to ache a bit. I thought this was pretty odd, especially since the power was supposedly off. I was sufficiently spooked that I did not test this with the power on. This has not happened with any of the other pans I am using on the cooktop.

I believe the induction heating process works when the electric current in the burner creates a powerful magnetic field in the pan which in turn induces an electric current in the pan and the ohmic resistance of the material causes the pan to heat up. I read that you are not supposed to use metal cooking utensils in pans on the induction stove. Also, you need to stand at least 30 cm away from the stove when cooking. Of course for short periods, you may be closer but supposed this is not a health risk.

So my questions are:
1- Is there a way to measure the current (if any) flowing in the handle of the pot?
2- Is there a way to measure any EMFs when the stove is both off and on?
3- Can anyone explain the cause of this phenomena?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi socalgranny, welcome to PF!

I hope you enjoy your induction cook top, we have really enjoyed ours.

The induction stove top has a rather large power supply which converts the low frequency power from the wall into the high frequency power required by the induction elements. Generally, any acoustic noise or vibrations that you hear or feel will come from the power supply. If it is relatively low pitch (buzzing) then it is probably from the fan that cools the power supply. If it is relatively high pitch (ringing) then it is probably from the output somewhere.

Sometimes, if a particular pan has an acoustic resonance near the output frequency you can hear ringing from the pan rather than the stove.

What is an induction cooktop?

An induction cooktop is a type of stove that uses electromagnetic induction to heat up cookware. It does not have any visible heating elements, as the heat is generated directly in the pan or pot.

How does an induction cooktop work?

An induction cooktop works by using a high-frequency electromagnet to create a magnetic field. When a pan made of ferromagnetic material (such as iron or stainless steel) is placed on the cooktop, the magnetic field induces eddy currents in the pan, which causes it to heat up. The heat is then transferred to the food inside the pan.

Why do some cookware not work on an induction cooktop?

Only cookware made of ferromagnetic material will work on an induction cooktop. This includes materials like iron, stainless steel, and some types of cast iron. Cookware made of non-ferromagnetic materials such as aluminum, copper, and glass will not work on an induction cooktop.

Can an induction cooktop be used with all types of food?

Yes, an induction cooktop can be used to cook all types of food, just like any other type of stove. It is especially useful for cooking dishes that require precise and consistent heat, as the heat can be easily adjusted and controlled on an induction cooktop.

Are there any safety concerns with using an induction cooktop?

Induction cooktops are generally considered safe to use. However, the surface of the cooktop can get very hot, so it is important to be cautious and avoid touching it while it is in use. Also, since the heat is generated directly in the cookware, the cooktop itself does not get hot, which reduces the risk of burns or fires.