SARS Gene Discovered: South Chinese Susceptibility High

• Thread starter Zantra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gene
In summary, scientists in Taiwan have identified a gene variant that may make people more susceptible to the deadly SARS virus.
Zantra
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994226

A gene variant that may make people particularly susceptible to the deadly SARS virus, has been identified by scientists in Taiwan.

The gene variant is prevalent in people of south Chinese origin, so the discovery may help explain why the disease rampaged across southeast Asia emerging in China's southern Guangdong province in November 2002.

Biology news on Phys.org
I read it in a local newspaper some time ago.

I vaguely remember on that same day, there was another article showing us statistics about some kids in China had antibody of SARS before the outbreak, which suggested that SARS might have emerged before we realized its existence. I can't remember the detail. Has anyone heard about it ?

I am not sure what the significance is.. they already sequenced the gene a very long time ago right?

With a very long time I mean about two months after the outbreak became public :)

Originally posted by Monique
I am not sure what the significance is.. they already sequenced the gene a very long time ago right?
I think you've misread the article. :smile:

The gene discovered is found in people of south Chinese origin, which may make them more susceptible to SARS infection. It isn't the genetic sequence of SARS virus.

I haven't read the article yet

So what you are saying is that those people have the viral gene integrated into their own genome? So that when those people's immune system takes a plunge the virus will take advantage and become active again?

It's the gene for the HLA antigen, the major immune typing property, which has several varieties (alleles) distributed through the human population. One allele, common in south Chinese populations conduces to SARS, another, common to native Taiwanese (not mainland immigrants) does not. Of course this is all statistical, just a tendency, not a deterministic cause.

1. What is SARS and why is it important?

SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) is a highly contagious respiratory illness caused by a virus. It is important because it can lead to severe respiratory distress and even death in some cases.

2. How was the SARS gene discovered?

The SARS gene was discovered through genetic sequencing and analysis of the SARS virus. Researchers were able to identify a specific gene that is responsible for the high susceptibility of people from South China to SARS.

3. What does it mean for people from South China to have a high susceptibility to SARS?

This means that individuals from South China may be more likely to contract SARS and experience more severe symptoms compared to individuals from other regions.

4. How does this discovery impact the understanding and treatment of SARS?

The discovery of the SARS gene can help researchers better understand the mechanisms behind the virus and develop more effective treatments and prevention methods. It also provides insights into the genetic factors that may contribute to the spread and severity of SARS.

5. What are the implications of this discovery for future outbreaks of SARS?

This discovery highlights the importance of genetic factors in the susceptibility and severity of SARS. It also emphasizes the need for continued research and vigilance in monitoring and preventing future outbreaks of SARS and other viral illnesses.