Odd constraint problem: Reflected and Transmitted Power of String

In summary: Earlier in the question, it did say to use a complex exponential for y (=A exp(ikx-iwt)) to prove that time-averaged power = 1/2 Zw^2 A^2. I assumed that carried forwards.In summary, the reflected and transmitted power for a string is zero if and only if the string is in a standing wave.
N00813

Homework Statement

Given that a string is constrained such that dy/dx = 0 at x = 0 and unconstrained otherwise, what is the reflected and transmitted power?
y is the deflection of the string from the x-axis. y_1 is incident wave, y_r is reflected and y_t is transmitted.

Homework Equations

Reflected power, transmitted power have already been derived in terms of impedances.
[tex] Impedance Z = \frac{Driving Force}{string element velocity} [/tex]
Continuity of y and dy/dx.

The Attempt at a Solution

Knowing that y and dy/dx are continuous, I wrote [itex] \frac{\partial y_1}{\partial x} +\frac{\partial y_r}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial y_t}{\partial x} =0 [/itex] at x = 0.

Substituting in the general solution [itex] y_1 = e^{-ikx+iwt}, y_r = re^{+ikx+iwt}, y_t = te^{-ikx+iwt} [/itex];

I got 1 + r = t and 1 - r = t = 0 at x = 0.

The latter suggests all reflection, no transmission, which isn't correct because it doesn't satisfy the first equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It does not satisfy which equation precisely ?

BvU said:
It does not satisfy which equation precisely ?

The given constraint (and continuity of gradient) means that -ik(1-r) = -ik(t) = 0.
Continuity of string means that 1 + r = t.

If t = 0, then 1-r = 0 so r = 1. But then 1 + r = 2 =/= t = 0.

Yes, so there must be something wrong at a more elementary level: even if you only impose continuity of y and dy/dx on these "general solutions" you end up with r = 0 ! This way you have three equations with only t and r as unknowns. Are you sure the y are general enough ?

BvU said:
Yes, so there must be something wrong at a more elementary level: even if you only impose continuity of y and dy/dx on these "general solutions" you end up with r = 0 ! This way you have three equations with only t and r as unknowns. Are you sure the y are general enough ?

I know the string satisfies a wave equation. Evanescent waves would be my next guess, but beyond that I'm stuck.

The solution for that problem requires incoming waves from both directions at the same time. (producing a standing wave with an anti-node at the origin)

Last edited:
dauto said:
The solution for that problem requires incoming waves from both directions at the same time. (producing a standing wave with an anti-node at the origin)

There'd be no reflected and transmitted power then, would there? Since the wave is standing?

N00813 said:
There'd be no reflected and transmitted power then, would there? Since the wave is standing?

Good point. I'm not sure what to make of that. The question doesn't seem to make much sense since there is incoming energy from both ends.

dauto said:
Good point. I'm not sure what to make of that. The question doesn't seem to make much sense since there is incoming energy from both ends.

Earlier in the question, it did say to use a complex exponential for y (=A exp(ikx-iwt)) to prove that time-averaged power = 1/2 Zw^2 A^2. I assumed that carried forwards.

I suppose I'll have to ask my supervisor for this, then. Perhaps the answer really is zero.

Related to Odd constraint problem: Reflected and Transmitted Power of String

1. What is the "Odd constraint problem" of reflected and transmitted power of string?

The "Odd constraint problem" refers to a scenario in which a string is attached to two fixed points and a wave is traveling along the string. The problem arises when the wave encounters a junction where one part of the string is attached to a fixed point and the other is attached to a movable point. The question is, how will the wave be reflected and transmitted at this junction?

2. Why is the "Odd constraint problem" important in scientific research?

The "Odd constraint problem" is important because it has many practical applications in fields such as acoustics, optics, and mechanics. Understanding how waves behave at junctions is crucial for designing and optimizing various systems and devices.

3. How is the "Odd constraint problem" typically solved?

The "Odd constraint problem" can be solved using mathematical models and equations, such as the wave equation and boundary conditions. These models take into account factors such as the properties of the string, the angle of incidence of the wave, and the boundary conditions at the junction.

4. What are some real-world examples of the "Odd constraint problem"?

Examples of the "Odd constraint problem" can be found in various systems and devices, such as musical instruments, optical fibers, and mechanical structures. For instance, in a guitar, the junction between the fret and the string can be considered an "Odd constraint problem" as the wave is partially reflected and transmitted at this junction.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions in solving the "Odd constraint problem"?

Like any scientific problem, there are limitations and assumptions in solving the "Odd constraint problem". Some of the assumptions may include idealized conditions, such as a perfectly elastic string and a uniform wave. Additionally, the models used to solve the problem may not account for all real-world factors, leading to some discrepancies between theoretical and experimental results.