Glucose Regulation: Identifying the Receptors for Negative Feedback Mechanisms

In summary, the conversation discusses glucose regulation in the human body and the receptors that detect changes in glucose levels. The pancreas plays a key role in this process, secreting insulin and glucagon to control glucose concentration. The pancreas also has glucose receptor cells that use a molecule in their plasma membrane to bind glucose and signal the cell. It is believed that these receptors are G protein-coupled, but this is not confirmed.
avaxtasafi
Hello, I'm doing some work for school and have a question about glucose regulation in the human body (I hope this is the right place to post this, I apologise if it isn't!)

In glucose regulation, what are the receptors that detect the change in glucose levels? I have read some worksheets given to me by the teacher that simply state "When glucose levels rise, insulin is secreted by the alpha cells of the islets of langerhans" etc., but they don't mention what the receptors are.

Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
Well, control of glucose concentration takes place in the pancreas where endocrine cells (the islets of Langerhals) secrete the antagonistic hormones insulin and glucagon. The pancreas also has glucose receptor cells, they must have a molecule in their plasma membrane that can bind glucose and relay a signal over the membrane to the inside of the cell. I think it is a G protein-coupled receptor, but I'm not sure.

Thankyou Monique!

What is a negative feedback mechanism?

A negative feedback mechanism is a biological process that helps to maintain homeostasis, or stability, within an organism. It involves a series of events that work together to counteract changes and keep the internal environment of an organism within a narrow range of conditions.

How does a negative feedback mechanism work?

A negative feedback mechanism works by detecting changes in the internal environment of an organism and initiating a response to counteract those changes. This response can involve a variety of processes, such as hormone production, muscle contractions, or changes in blood flow, in order to bring the internal environment back to its optimal state.

What is an example of a negative feedback mechanism?

One example of a negative feedback mechanism is the regulation of body temperature in humans. When the body's temperature rises, sensors in the skin and brain detect the change and trigger a response to cool the body down, such as sweating and dilating blood vessels. When the body's temperature drops, the response is to conserve heat through shivering and constricting blood vessels.

Why are negative feedback mechanisms important?

Negative feedback mechanisms are important because they help to maintain the internal stability of an organism, which is crucial for its survival. Without these mechanisms, small changes in the environment could have a major impact on an organism's vital functions, leading to illness or even death.

What happens when a negative feedback mechanism fails?

When a negative feedback mechanism fails, the internal environment of an organism can become unstable, leading to various health issues. For example, if the body's temperature regulation system fails, a person may develop a fever, which can be dangerous if left untreated. Therefore, it is important to maintain healthy negative feedback mechanisms in order to ensure proper functioning of the body.