Electromagnetism and renormaliztion

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of why quantum electrodynamics (QED) uses renormalization, when it may seem easier to quantize the Hamiltonian of electromagnetism. However, it is explained that the Lagrangian for QED includes an interaction term and the quantization of this was a difficult task. The struggles of the people involved in this process are discussed in Schweber's book "QED and the Men who Made it".
eljose79
i always have asked myself this question ..Feynmann and others got the nobel prize for quantizaying the electromagnetism..i have read about it and it seems it was a difficult task..but why not try this way .take the lagrangian of electromagnetism and take the hamiltonian to be H=E+B now we now E=-dA/dt and B=rotA so we could quantizy the hamiltonian and get the wave functional F(A) with
HF(A)=EF(A) what is easier...then why use renormaliztion and all that?..in electromagnetism can the Hamiltonian description presented above describe quantum electormagnetism?..then why qed?..

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by eljose79
i always have asked myself this question ..Feynmann and others got the nobel prize for quantizaying the electromagnetism..i have read about it and it seems it was a difficult task..but why not try this way .take the lagrangian of electromagnetism and take the hamiltonian to be H=E+B now we now E=-dA/dt and B=rotA so we could quantizy the hamiltonian and get the wave functional F(A) with
HF(A)=EF(A) what is easier...then why use renormaliztion and all that?..in electromagnetism can the Hamiltonian description presented above describe quantum electormagnetism?..then why qed?..
Hi eljose79
Because "this way" explains nothing. Just try to calculate the anomalous magnetic moment of electron by "this way"... of course you can't...

In fact the Lagrangean for QED consists of the sum of the Dirac Lagrangean, the Maxwell Lagrangean, and an interaction term. The quantization of this was highly nontrivial, and you can read about the struggles of the people involved in Schweber's fine history "QED and the Men who Made it".

What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the interaction between electrically charged particles. It includes the study of electric fields, magnetic fields, and how they are related.

What is renormalization in the context of electromagnetism?

Renormalization is a mathematical technique used to remove infinities that arise in quantum field theories, such as electromagnetism. It allows for more accurate and meaningful predictions to be made in these theories.

What is the difference between classical electromagnetism and quantum electromagnetism?

Classical electromagnetism is based on classical physics principles and describes the behavior of electromagnetic fields at macroscopic scales. Quantum electromagnetism takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics and describes the behavior of electromagnetic fields at microscopic scales.

What is the role of gauge invariance in electromagnetism?

Gauge invariance is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that ensures the consistency and predictive power of the theory. It states that the physical laws governing electromagnetic interactions should remain unchanged when certain transformations are applied to the mathematical description of the system.

How is electromagnetism applied in everyday life?

Electromagnetism has numerous applications in everyday life, including the generation and transmission of electricity, the operation of electronic devices, and the functioning of motors and generators. It also plays a crucial role in various technologies such as telecommunications, medical imaging, and navigation systems.