Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Occasional blank page when viewing thanks received

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Every now and then, when I click to view who has thanked a post of mine via the notifications drop-down menu at the upper right of the page, I am taken to a blank page. It doesn't happen often, but I thought I should report this. If I then view the thanks through my profile page, that always works.

For reference, I use MS Windows 7 and Firefox 24.0. Because of the fact that it happens so rarely, it would be impractical to try to duplicate the problem using another browser.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
No, I haven't experienced this but it's worth noting that we've had some database errors within the past month so this might have occurred at those moments. How often would you say this happens, generally speaking?

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
It seems not to happen for a long time, say a month or more, and then for a day or two it might happen 3-4 times. In the last two days I have encountered the problem 3 times.

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I am almost certain that I have determined this is an issue with cookies. Clearing them have consistently made the problem disappear, and since no one else has posted that this happens to them as well, I am going to mark this issue as solved.

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
The problem has returned, and now no matter what I do, I cannot view the thanks received page, neither through the notifications nor my profile page. I have cleared cookies and cache, tried a different browser (switching from Firefox 24.0 to IE 10) and nothing works. I am wondering if the number of thanks I have received might have something to do with it? :confused:

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
It is been long time since I viewed the thanks received , so I cannot really tell :) but I never encountered such a problem in the past.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
The problem has returned, and now no matter what I do, I cannot view the thanks received page, neither through the notifications nor my profile page. I have cleared cookies and cache, tried a different browser (switching from Firefox 24.0 to IE 10) and nothing works. I am wondering if the number of thanks I have received might have something to do with it? :confused:
I'm sorry to read that this has returned, especially since I don't really know what to do about it. On both computers I use at home I am able to view your "Thanks received" page. Could you try installing Chrome and see what happens?

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I'm sorry to read that this has returned, especially since I don't really know what to do about it. On both computers I use at home I am able to view your "Thanks received" page. Could you try installing Chrome and see what happens?
Okay, I downloaded and installed Google Chrome version 30.0.1599.101 m, and so far it seems to work. I will keep testing it and post back here how it goes. :D

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Alas, now even Chrome is giving me the blank page too. (Emo)

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Alas, now even Chrome is giving me the blank page too. (Emo)
I can't reproduce this issue on a university computer either. The last thing to try would be to have you temporarily change your password and let me log in as you, then test it under your name, and then you can switch back your password. This won't help the problem of course but it would establish whether or not the problem is related to your specific computer.

Have you tried this from another computer?

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
I regularly inspect the thanks page, but I've never had this problem.
For reference, I use Chrome on Windows 7 and Firefox on Linux Ubuntu.

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
Here's a list of thing that happens at different configurations :

Chrome (W7) : Had no bug.
Firefox (W7) : A slow speed with sometimes deformed forum theme.
Internet Explorer (W7) : Loads of bug, none matched Mark's.
SeaMonkey (W7) : Occasionally shows blank pages, but doesn't seem to match with Mark's description.
Firefox (XP) : Loads of bugs, including forum theme deformation.
SeaMonkey (XP) : Nothing happens at MHB, but MMF's theme gets deformed.
Internet Explorer (W764-bit) : Loads of bugs, not tested completely yet.
Firefox (Android) : No bugs found yet.
Firefox (Linux BT) : Loads of bugs, yet to be listed/tested more.

So, no, none of them matches Mark's description. At a glance, one can think of webcache related problems. Have you tried deleting your web-datas completely?

Balarka

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I can't reproduce this issue on a university computer either. The last thing to try would be to have you temporarily change your password and let me log in as you, then test it under your name, and then you can switch back your password. This won't help the problem of course but it would establish whether or not the problem is related to your specific computer.

Have you tried this from another computer?
Jameson has tested my account on his computer and had no issues, and so I will consider this issue to be at my end and mark it as solved. He has suggested I remove the customization I made to my profile, which I have done, and I will post here to let everyone know if/when I find the action which fixes the issue.

Thank you to everyone for your efforts! :D

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I believe the problem is gone. :D

As I stated I set my profile page customizations back to the defaults, and that made it where I could always view my thanks received through the profile page, but the problem still existed if I used the notifications tab. So, I took the suggestion of mathbalarka and completely cleared my cache, and these two actions seem to have fixed it.

Thanks to everyone for their time and helpful suggestions. (Star)