Obtaining Velocity Distribution P(v) for Simple Harmonic Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of obtaining a velocity distribution for a particle undergoing simple harmonic motion. The concept of a distribution function is only applicable when there are a large number of particles or when particle velocity is sampled at random times. The conversation then explores the idea of a velocity distribution for a particle undergoing a sinusoidal oscillation and compares it to the classical distribution. The conversation also touches on the usefulness of using latex for mathematical equations and the relationship between the quantum mechanical and classical models for harmonic oscillators.
Mulder
Is it possible to analytically obtain a velocity distribution P(v) for a particle, say, undergoing simple harmonic motion v=sin(wt) (between max v' and min -v', say)

I'm not sure if this is obvious, I've not come across it before.

Cheers for any feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org
A distribution function only makes sense when you have a lot of particles.

Tide said:
A distribution function only makes sense when you have a lot of particles.

or when you sample the particle velocity at random times. i remember seeing something like this for the simple harmonic oscillator in QM and comparing QM distribution to the Classical distribution.

Ok, say a classical particle in a box oscillates with a sawtooth displacement with time - it either has velocity v_0 or -v_0, then I can write a velocity distribution like

P(v)=1/2(delta (v-v_0)+delta (v+v_0)

possible for any other kind of motion?

(I'll use latex one day)

Mulder said:
Ok, say a classical particle in a box oscillates with a sawtooth displacement with time - it either has velocity v_0 or -v_0, then I can write a velocity distribution like

P(v)=1/2(delta (v-v_0)+delta (v+v_0)

possible for any other kind of motion?

sure. say it was a sinusoidal oscillation.

[tex] x(t) = A \mbox{sin}(\omega t + \theta) [/tex]

and you sample its position at some random time. the p.d.f. of the position is

[tex] p_x(\alpha) = \frac{1}{\pi \sqrt{A^2 - \alpha^2}} [/tex] (for [itex] |\alpha| < A [/itex], zero otherwize)

independent of [itex] \theta [/itex].

we know what the velocity function is:

[tex] v_x(t) = x^{\prime}(t) = A \omega \mbox{cos}(\omega t + \theta) = A \omega \mbox{sin}(\omega t + \theta + \pi/2) [/tex]

so the same can be applied to the velocity function (if sampled a random time):

[tex] p_v(\alpha) = \frac{1}{\pi \sqrt{(A \omega)^2 - \alpha^2}} [/tex] (for [itex] |\alpha| < A \omega [/itex], zero otherwize)

and the QM model of the harmonic oscillator will begin to look like that in an average sort of way if the wave number is high enough (which is evidence of the correspondance principle).
(I'll use latex one day)

it's useful for condoms. (pretty worthless for math.)

Last edited:

Not something I remember explicitly seeing before.

Mulder said:

Not something I remember explicitly seeing before.

quite all right. note that i had to fix the pdf functions a little.

Related to Obtaining Velocity Distribution P(v) for Simple Harmonic Motion

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of oscillatory motion in which a system or object moves back and forth around a central equilibrium point, following a sinusoidal pattern. This type of motion is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position.

What is the formula for calculating velocity in Simple Harmonic Motion?

The formula for calculating velocity in Simple Harmonic Motion is v(t) = Aωcos(ωt + φ), where v is the velocity at time t, A is the amplitude of the motion, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

How can the velocity distribution P(v) be obtained for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The velocity distribution P(v) for Simple Harmonic Motion can be obtained by using the probability density function for a normal distribution, with the mean being the average velocity and the standard deviation being the root mean square velocity. This can also be derived using statistical mechanics and the equipartition theorem.

What factors affect the shape of the velocity distribution P(v) for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The shape of the velocity distribution P(v) for Simple Harmonic Motion is affected by the amplitude of the motion, the frequency of the oscillation, and the mass of the object. A larger amplitude and a higher frequency will result in a wider distribution, while a heavier mass will result in a narrower distribution.

How is the velocity distribution P(v) used in Simple Harmonic Motion?

The velocity distribution P(v) is used to determine the probability of the system or object having a certain velocity at any given time during the motion. It is also used to calculate other important parameters, such as the average velocity and the root mean square velocity, which can provide insights into the behavior and properties of the system or object in Simple Harmonic Motion.