Obtain transfer resistances and use them to find these two currents

• Thread starter s3a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Currents
In summary, the conversation revolves around problem 4.5, which refers to problem 4.2, and the use of "transfer resistance" in electrical circuits. The equation ##R_{transfer,ij}## = ##Δ_R## / ##Δ_{ij}## is mentioned and the concept of transfer resistance is not commonly discussed. The speaker checked other sources and found unrelated information. They understand how to solve the problem, but do not fully understand the concept and how to apply it in an electrical circuit. They end by asking for clarification and additional input.
s3a

Homework Statement

The problem that this thread is about is problem 4.5 which is in the 4.5.jpg file (which makes reference to problem 4.2 which is in the 4.2.jpg file).

Homework Equations

##R_{transfer,ij}## = ##Δ_R## / ##Δ_{ij}##

The Attempt at a Solution

This concept of "transfer resistance" seems to be something not discussed frequently. I checked my other book for that term/concept and, I couldn't find anything. When I check online, I find many not-directly-related things in the field of heat transfer.

Am I correct in thinking that it is, basically, an equivalent resistance of a certain segment of an electrical circuit (or all of it) defined to be located at a certain point in the electrical circuit?

While it makes some sense to me that R = V/I = V/(V ##Δ_{12}## / ##Δ_R##) = ##Δ_R## / ##Δ_{12}## because this derivation is similar to the derivation of the previous problem (4.4) in my book, I do not understand what is going on.

I suppose I understand how to do this problem, computationally but, I don't truly know what it is I'd be doing if I just blindly computed things. Assuming I understand what a transfer resistance is (from what I said above), how do I know where in the electrical circuit to define each equivalent resistance?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 4.5.jpg
    4.5.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 447
  • 4.2.jpg
    4.2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 426
Physics news on Phys.org
If I did not include enough information, someone please tell me so that I can incude it.

Related to Obtain transfer resistances and use them to find these two currents

1. How do you obtain transfer resistances?

To obtain transfer resistances, divide the voltage difference between the two points of interest by the corresponding current. This will give you the resistance value.

2. What are transfer resistances used for?

Transfer resistances are used to determine the current flowing through a specific circuit or component. They are also used in circuit analysis and design.

3. Can transfer resistances be negative?

Yes, transfer resistances can be negative. This can occur when the voltage difference between the two points of interest is negative, resulting in a negative resistance value.

4. How do you use transfer resistances to find two currents?

To find two currents using transfer resistances, you first need to determine the resistance value for each current. Then, using Ohm's Law (V=IR), you can calculate the currents by dividing the voltage difference by the respective resistance values.

5. Are there any limitations to using transfer resistances?

One limitation of using transfer resistances is that they assume a linear relationship between voltage and current. This may not always be the case, especially in non-linear circuits. Additionally, transfer resistances may vary depending on the frequency of the AC signals in the circuit.