Observing the sun with Newton telescope

In summary: You can make a pinhole camera with a telescope by covering the objective lens with a piece of paper or cardboard and then pressing the paper against the lens. This will create an image of the subject that you can view through the eyepiece.
Alain De Vos
While making a projection of the sun on a paper with a Newton telescope, I’m able to see a white ball or to make burning holes in paper.
My idea however is to be able to see something more spectacular , like sunspots or protuberances.
Does someone has an ideas how to do this practically?

Thanks,
Alain

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You can either buy a solar filter to cover the APERTURE of the telescope (Do NOT buy ones for eyepieces) or you could try covering the aperture with a sheet of cardboard or thick paper with a cutout that is very small. This will let less light through to the mirror and reduce the brightness of the sun. Be VERY VERY careful and never look directly into the eyepiece if you do it yourself.

Without a cover or filter your telescope is acting like a magnifying glass and focusing huge amounts of light onto a small spot. Just like I used to do as a kid to those pesky insects with my magnifying glass...

Again, you need to get a solar filter to cover the aperture (never EVER buy ones for eyepieces). You can get several different filter spectrums to get different images of different things (the most common is Hydrogen-alpha). I suggest using a filter instead of a cover if you want to see things like solar flares, sunspots, and solar prominences.

You don't need a solar filter for projecting the sun's disk. First cap the finderscope, because you don't want to accidentally look into it, or have it focus sunlight on your skin. Then point the telescope at the sun, hold a piece of paper in front of the eyepiece, and move the paper so that the sun's disk is about 20 cm in diameter. Turn the focus knob unless the edge of this disk is as sharp as you can get it. If there are any sunspots, you should be able to see them. However, the sun is taking an unexpectedly long time to get out of the last solar minimum, so the surface is pretty much blank: http://spaceweather.com/

Note that the projection method is only safe with small aperture, open-tube telescopes. Don't use it with a large Newtonian, and don't use it with a Schmidt-Cassegrain of any aperture. Heat might build up and permanently damage the telescope.

@ideasrule: he used the projection method, but wanted to see something MORE SPECTACULAR, like sunspots and prominences.

-cpman

You can see sunspots with the projection method without a filter, as long as the scope isn't too big and the image too bright.

russ_watters said:
You can see sunspots with the projection method without a filter, as long as the scope isn't too big and the image too bright.

Yeah, I'm assuming that was the problem for the OP. He had a scope that was gathering too much light from the sun, washing out any details.

to see prominences you need specific solar filters they cost lots !

I have done eyepiece projection with my 8" F5 Newtonian for many many years drawing sunspots. I would stop the opening down to ~ 3 - 4 inches.

cheers
Dave

Yesterday, I saw a prominence with

http://www.meade.com/product_pages/coronado/scopes/pst.php .

My astronomy club has one of these, as do a number of the individual members.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey George

yeah my dream acquition for solar observing, one day when I win the lottery :)

cheers
Dave

I have not a focused image of the sun. Does someone has experience if i could make some sort of pinhole-camera/camera-obsura , to put behind the eyepiece of the telescope?

Related to Observing the sun with Newton telescope

1. What is a Newton telescope and how does it work?

A Newton telescope is a type of reflecting telescope that uses a concave mirror to gather and focus light. Light enters the telescope through a small opening in the side of the tube and is reflected off the primary mirror onto a smaller, flat secondary mirror. The secondary mirror then reflects the light out of the side of the tube, where it can be viewed through an eyepiece or captured by a camera.

2. Is it safe to observe the sun with a Newton telescope?

Yes, it is safe to observe the sun with a Newton telescope as long as proper precautions are taken. It is important to use a solar filter specifically designed for telescopes to block out harmful levels of light and heat. Never look directly at the sun through the telescope without a filter, as this can cause permanent damage to your eyes.

3. Can I see sunspots and solar flares with a Newton telescope?

Yes, a Newton telescope can provide a clear view of sunspots and solar flares on the surface of the sun. These features appear as dark spots or bright bursts on the sun's surface and can be easily observed with a properly filtered telescope.

4. How do I properly align my Newton telescope for solar observation?

To properly align your Newton telescope for solar observation, first make sure the telescope is securely mounted on a stable surface. Then, use the finder scope to locate the sun and center it in the eyepiece. Adjust the focus until the image is sharp and clear. Finally, use the slow motion controls to track the sun as it moves across the sky.

5. Can I use a Newton telescope to view solar eclipses?

Yes, a Newton telescope can be used to view solar eclipses, but only with the proper solar filters in place. Never look directly at the sun during an eclipse, as this can cause permanent eye damage. It is also important to follow proper safety guidelines and only observe an eclipse for a short period of time to avoid damaging your telescope or eyes.