Observing Ink Points in Water: What is the Motion?

• Thread starter Abofaisal2008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ink Water
In summary, the OP wants to know if he can describe the ink motion in a water glass with ink by saying that it is not linear, and that it resembles smoke motion.
Abofaisal2008
Hello

I want know if i put ink point in water cup .. How i can describe ink point

motion ?? :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
The ink will diffuse. Look up 'diffusion'.

Or 'fluid dynamics'.

yes, i think diffusion . but i mean ink motion in water as liquied with liquied.

i think itsnt linear motion and i think its kind of chaos phenomena. Is that

right?

Particles diffuse in a liquid. But for a liquid mixing with a liquid it's fluid dynamics, as DaveC points out. Yes, it is rather chaotic. Fluid dynamics is difficult mathematically.

Fluid dynamics would only come into play if the fluid were moving. For a drop of ink in still water you should be able to apply the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_equation" . The simplesest solution would be if the ink drop were introduced into the middle of the liquid, rather then on the surface.

In the simple case you would use a spherical polar coordinate system and assume uniformity in all directions to get a solution in terms of only r, the radial component.

Last edited by a moderator:
Integral said:
In the simple case you would use a spherical polar coordinate system and assume uniformity in all directions to get a solution in terms of only r, the radial component.
Of course, gravity complicates things... first try without gravity:)

DaveC426913 said:
Read the man's post:

"... ink motion in water as liquied with liquied. i think itsnt linear motion and i think its kind of chaos phenomena..."

It is obvious he is looking for fluid dynamics.

Perhaps you should try reading!
Abofaisal2008 said:
yes, i think diffusion

As for what you quoted, what the heck does that mean?

Are we reading the same thread?

Integral said:
As for what you quoted, what the heck does that mean?
I quoted the OP's words about what he is looking for - not words that somebody else fed him.

When asked to elaborate what he is looking for, the OP's own words are about fluids in motion, and chaos.

Really, read the thread from post #1. Note what the OP is saying as opposed to what others are thinking he's saying.

Yes, I am sure that the ink will diffuse it water.

DaveC426913 said:
Are we reading the same thread?

I quoted the OP's words about what he is looking for - not words that somebody else fed him.

When asked to elaborate what he is looking for, the OP's own words are about fluids in motion, and chaos.

Really, read the thread from post #1. Note what the OP is saying as opposed to what others are thinking he's saying.

I guess not Dave cus I quoted the same post you did. I read the same lines you did only I see nonsense, clearly the OP does not know what he wants. I gave him a direct answer to that post. your posts are off topic and close to earning you a warning.

looks to me like YOU FED him fluid dynamics in post #3.

"WATER CUP" from post #1 does not imply a dynamic situation.

I will delete all further posts until we hear from the OP.

Last edited:
Is my problem not clear?

ok .. put ink in water glass and observe motion of ink its not linear motion and its like smoke motion

http://www.astrographics.com/GalleryPrints/Display/GP4293.jpg"

* I am sorry for my english lang:frown:

Thank you DaveC426913

That could well be difusion acting unter the infuluence of gravity. I am not sure how gravity will interact with the diffusion equation but if it shows up as a non linear term, then you would see chaotic behavior.

As for fluid dymanics, there certianlly is not evidence of bulk motion of the water, if there were you would not see the delicate tentrils, they would lost in the currents, as the ink would simply follow the streamlines of the fluid.

Abofaisal2008 said:
Is my problem not clear?

ok .. put ink in water glass and observe motion of ink its not linear motion and its like smoke motion

http://www.astrographics.com/GalleryPrints/Display/GP4293.jpg"

* I am sorry for my english lang:frown:

I think next time someone gives me a hard time when I make a point for a question to be presented in a clear manner, I will point to this thread.

The way that I have understood this is the evolution of a drop of ink in still water. This is a diffusion phenomenon, not a "fluid dynamics" problem.

While this is not an easy phenomenon to describe, I believe that what can be answered on here has been provided already.

Zz.

Hmm i think that if you are doing it simply then talking about Brownian motion , how the molecules vibrating in the water "hit" the ink molecules and how it transfers energy to the ink molecules and causes it to move (diffuse) would suffice

i think that if you are doing it simply then talking about Brownian motion

Can you explain Browhian motion ? i think it for Einstien .. Is that right?:bugeye:

Related to Observing Ink Points in Water: What is the Motion?

1. What is the purpose of observing ink points in water?

The purpose of observing ink points in water is to understand the motion of particles in a fluid. By observing the movement of ink particles in water, we can gain insights into the principles of fluid dynamics and how different factors such as viscosity and turbulence can affect the motion of particles.

2. How do ink points move in water?

Ink points move in water due to the random motion of water molecules. This is known as Brownian motion and it causes the ink particles to move in a zig-zag pattern. Additionally, the movement of ink points can also be influenced by factors such as temperature, concentration, and the size of the particles.

3. What equipment is needed for observing ink points in water?

To observe ink points in water, you will need a container filled with water, ink, a light source (such as a flashlight), and a microscope or magnifying glass. The container should be transparent to allow for easier observation of the ink particles.

4. How does the motion of ink points in water relate to real-world applications?

The motion of ink points in water can have real-world applications in fields such as biology, chemistry, and environmental science. Understanding how particles move in fluids can help us understand the behavior of cells, chemical reactions, and the movement of pollutants in water bodies.

5. What other factors can affect the motion of ink points in water?

Aside from temperature, concentration, and particle size, other factors that can affect the motion of ink points in water include the density of the fluid, the shape of the particles, and the presence of external forces such as gravity or electric fields. These factors can all contribute to the overall motion and behavior of particles in a fluid.