Observing a light source through blinds (picture included)

In summary, the person is experiencing a mental dilemma regarding the scattering of light from a street lamp outside their window. They question why they can see the scattered light from a single vantage point and wonder if it is due to limitations in human perception or something more extraordinary. The scattering of light is likely caused by the residual opacity of the person's eye lens and may become more noticeable as they age.
ecneicS
I have a mental dilemma that i would like some 'light shed upon'. For the past few nights I've been staring out my window -- which has blinds -- at a street lamp. I've been staring at this light source such that the light is traveling between 2 blinds as in the picture below (green = blinds, yellow = light source, black = night):

lightthroughshades-1.png

The light I am seeing appears to 'scatter' in different directions -- I know in reality it is -- but I don't understand why I am seeing it do such a thing because I am observing from essentially one vantage point and any rays of light that aren't directed at my eyes shouldn't be seen by me. Also, this apparent scattering 'overlaps' my image of the blinds even though they are at my window, not behind the street lamp.

Is this simply a demonstration of the limitations of human perception when trying to view reality or is something more phenomenal happening?

Science news on Phys.org
Your eye lens and other parts are not ideally transparent. The light is scattered by this residual opacity of eyes. The effect will grow stronger with your age, unfortunately...

Related to Observing a light source through blinds (picture included)

1. How do blinds affect the light passing through them?

Blinds can block or filter the amount of light passing through them depending on their material and orientation. If the blinds are closed, they can significantly reduce the amount of light passing through, while if they are open, they may only slightly filter the light.

2. Will the type of blinds impact how the light looks?

Yes, the type of blinds can affect the way the light appears. For example, vertical blinds may create a striped pattern of light, while horizontal blinds may create a more diffused pattern. The material of the blinds can also impact the color and intensity of the light passing through.

3. How does the angle of the blinds affect the light?

The angle of the blinds can greatly impact the amount and direction of the light passing through. When the blinds are fully opened, the light will pass through in a straight line. But when the blinds are partially or fully closed, the light may be directed in a different direction or may be blocked altogether.

4. Can the light passing through the blinds cause any safety concerns?

In most cases, the light passing through blinds is not a safety concern. However, if the blinds are made of highly flammable materials, there may be a risk of fire if the light is too intense. Additionally, if the light is too bright, it may cause discomfort or temporary vision impairment for those looking directly at it.

5. Are there any benefits to observing a light source through blinds?

Yes, observing a light source through blinds can have several benefits. It can help diffuse harsh or direct light, creating a more comfortable and pleasant lighting environment. It can also create interesting patterns and effects, making the space more visually appealing. Additionally, it can provide privacy by partially blocking the view from outside.