Observer vs Natural phenomenon

In summary: But what about a system with just two hydrogen atoms colliding without any other potentials, a completely isolated area. I realize that wouldn't happen, but just as a thought experiment. Would that system randomly choose an eigenvalue for repulsion?No, it would not.
jaydnul
If you have two hydrogen atoms as your system, then you use the many body schrodinger equation for 2 protons and 2 electrons. The coulombic repulsion between the two atoms is built into the SWE, so is there a range of different possible magnitudes for the repulsion? If so, does the system decide at which magnitude to repel based on quantum randomness? Lastly, how would that translate to the macroscopic world. Is the range of different possibilities just too small to ever notice?

The reason i ask this is because when i, say, push on a chair, my finger atoms and the chair atoms are definitely repelling, so is that system just randomly choosing the magnitude of repulsion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jd0g33 said:
The reason i ask this is because when i, say, push on a chair, my finger atoms and the chair atoms are definitely repelling, so is that system just randomly choosing the magnitude of repulsion?

No, it's averaging across an enormous number of individual atoms and (as expected:smile:) ending up with something very close to the expectation value.

For a classical analogy, you could consider the tabletop in front of me (supports my bare feet and because it's too early in the day for cold beer, a nice warm cup of coffee). It is being bombarded by randomly moving air molecules on both sides, yet it experiences no net force because on average the number and speed of the molecules hitting the top are balanced by the number and speed of the molecules hitting the bottom. It is in principle possible for every one of the ##10^{24}## or so molecules underneath the table to randomly happen to be moving up at the same time; if this were to happen the table would blast through the ceiling like an artillery shell. And the probability of this happening? It's on the order of ##2^{-(10^{24})}##, a number which is indescribably small.

Nugatory said:
No, it's averaging across an enormous number of individual atoms and (as expected:smile:) ending up with something very close to the expectation value

But what about a system with just two hydrogen atoms colliding without any other potentials, a completely isolated area. I realize that wouldn't happen, but just as a thought experiment. Would that system randomly choose an eigenvalue for repulsion?

Related to Observer vs Natural phenomenon

Question 1: What is the difference between an observer and a natural phenomenon?

An observer is a person who actively observes and records events or objects in the world around them. A natural phenomenon, on the other hand, is a naturally occurring event or process in the physical world that is not influenced by human activity.

Question 2: Can an observer influence a natural phenomenon?

No, an observer cannot influence a natural phenomenon. Natural phenomena are governed by natural laws and processes that are independent of human observation.

Question 3: Are all natural phenomena observable by humans?

No, not all natural phenomena are observable by humans. Some natural phenomena occur at a scale that is too small or too large for humans to perceive, while others may take place in remote or inaccessible locations.

Question 4: How do scientists study natural phenomena?

Scientists study natural phenomena through observation, experimentation, and analysis. They use various tools and techniques, such as telescopes, microscopes, and computer simulations, to gather data and make observations about natural phenomena.

Question 5: Can natural phenomena be predicted?

Yes, some natural phenomena can be predicted based on past observations and scientific knowledge. For example, scientists can predict the occurrence of certain weather patterns or geological events based on their understanding of natural processes and data collected over time.