Observational evidence for accelerating universe

In summary, Adam Riess described how they calculate the "real" apparent magnitude for high-z measurements, and mentioned that there could be an erroneous "acceleration" if the software used to subtract the host galaxy's light is not calibrated. He also mentioned that other teams have likely encountered a similar problem, and that it would be difficult to calibrate the technique without observing nearby locations that don't have any galaxies visible.
Gort
This question was triggered by the fact that Adam Riess is making his lecture rounds at a local University. So, wanting to be prepared, I pulled out his old Nobel lecture, which nicely described the techniques used for the high-z s/n measurements. I was particularly interested in how they estimated the s/n "real" apparent magnitude, applying correction factors such as K-correction, host galaxy dust extinction, Milky Way dust extinction, and others. He emphasized, in his lecture, the need to subtract host galaxy light from the s/n itself, so that the s/n brightness is not over-estimated. He ended up using some custom software developed by a grad student, Brian Schmidt. All well and good, but he didn't explain how it was calibrated. It occurred to me that if his software preferentially subtracted too much light from dimmer galactic images, the s/n would appear "too faint" relative to what would be expected from a non-accelerating universe. An erroneous "acceleration" could be concluded. But there were other teams who must have encountered a similar problem. Surely they didn't use the same software to subtract the host galaxy's light. But the technique still must be calibrated (to eliminate apparent magnitude-based bias). I couldn't find any details in the literature. Anybody know how this is done?

Space news on Phys.org
My naive guess would be that they could perform the calibration by observing nearby locations that don't have any galaxies visible along the line of sight. It would have to be near to the supernova because the brightness of the dust in our galaxy will vary over the sky.

Although possible, I think that would be difficult. They would have to try and measure "apparent magnitude bias" by comparing the expected apparent magnitude from distances measured by other means (such as Cepheids). Not sure the Cepheid accuracy is sufficient to bring out the bias. My feeling is that it would be in the noise. The bias would only become statistically significant with dim (high-z) objects. But that's also my naive guess. I can always ask Dr. Riess when he's in town!

Related to Observational evidence for accelerating universe

1. What is observational evidence for an accelerating universe?

Observational evidence for an accelerating universe refers to the observations made by astronomers and physicists that suggest the expansion of the universe is accelerating. This means that the rate at which galaxies and other objects are moving away from each other is increasing over time, rather than slowing down as would be expected based on traditional models of the universe.

2. How was this evidence discovered?

This evidence was first discovered in the late 1990s through observations of distant supernovae, which showed that they were fainter than expected. This led scientists to conclude that the expansion of the universe was actually accelerating, rather than slowing down due to the force of gravity as previously believed.

3. What is causing the acceleration of the universe?

The exact cause of the acceleration of the universe is still not fully understood, but it is believed to be due to a mysterious force known as dark energy. Dark energy is thought to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe and has a repulsive effect on matter, causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate.

4. How does this evidence impact our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of an accelerating universe has had a significant impact on our understanding of the universe. It has led to the development of new theories and models to explain the expansion of the universe, such as the inflationary model. It has also raised new questions about the nature of dark energy and its role in the evolution of the universe.

5. What future research is being done to further understand this phenomenon?

Scientists are continuing to study the acceleration of the universe and dark energy through various methods, such as observing more distant supernovae and mapping the large-scale structure of the universe. They are also conducting experiments to try to better understand the properties of dark energy and how it may be related to other fundamental forces in the universe.